This SharePoint 2013 tutorial, I will explain how to save SharePoint list as a template with or without content to another SharePoint site in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online. We can save a list as a template and we can create another list by using this saved template in SharePoint.
New to Office 365 SharePoint Online? Get Office 365 Enterprise E3 Subscription & Try out all the features
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
You can follow the below steps to save the list as a template and use it in another site collection in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online.
Open a SharePoint team site or publishing site. Navigate to add an app. Click on “Custom List” to add a list. Give a name and click on Create like below:
In the list, Here am added one more column for filling up some data. The list looks like below:
Now going to save the list as template. Click on list-> list settings from the ribbon. Then Click Save list as template which is under Permissions and Management.
Provide the filename and template name. If you need this list with contents- > Check Include Content. Click on OK.
If you will check Include Content then it will save the list or document library data, else it will just save the list or document library structure.
Then it will show a successful message once it is done.
Now open SharePoint list template gallery under site settings in the Site Settings page.
Download the .stp file we create as a list template
You can go to the other site collection where you want to use this list template. Here I have created one more site collection in SharePoint.
Open the site collection and Click site settings -> navigate to Web Designer Galleries -> Click List template
Click on Files tab in a top ribbon -> Click Upload
Uploaded the .stp file we already downloaded from some other site collection.
Navigate to Add an app -> Click CityDetailsList template to create
If you see save list as template link in SharePoint online is missing, then you have to check if the custom script is enabled or nor in SharePoint Office 365 tenant level.
To verify this open SharePoint Online admin center and then go to settings and you can go the Custom Script section and allow Allow users to run custom script on personal sites and Allow users to run custom script on self-service created sites like below:
You can also access the settings page URL directly like below:
Once you enable, it might take upto 24 hours to reflect the changes in SharePoint Online Office 365.
Alternatively, you can also access the save list as template SharePoint Online URL like below:
https://<Your Site URL>/_layouts/15/savetmpl.aspx?List=<List GUID>
You may like following SharePoint list tutorials:
- Sorry this site hasn’t been shared with you while saving a list as a template in SharePoint 2013/2016
- The list is too large to save as a template. The size of a template cannot exceed 10485760 bytes in SharePoint
- Microsoft Flow Example Save tweets that include the specific hashtag to a SharePoint list
- SharePoint2013 Use of PreSaveAction Function on list forms
- Access denied when clicking on Save list as a template in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- How to rename Save or Cancel button text on SharePoint 2013 List Forms?
- How to use PreSaveAction() in newform.aspx in SharePoint Online/2013/2016 List
- How to display more than 3 views in SharePoint 2013/2016 list or document library
- Add SharePoint 2016/2013 List/Library Columns to view programmatically using the server object model in Visual Studio 2017
- Change SharePoint Online/2013/2016 List Column Order
- Working with Survey List in SharePoint 2016/2013 or SharePoint Online
Now the list has been moved from one site collection to another site collection with content.
Hope this will be helpful to know how we can save list as a template with content in SharePoint 2013 as well as how we can create another list by using this list template in a different site collection in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online.
FREE SHAREPOINT 2019 PDF
(Installation & Features)