This SharePoint workflow tutorial explains, how we can create a quick step in SharePoint 2013. Through quick step you can select an item from list or document library and then on click of a button in the ribbon we can initiate a SharePoint designer workflow on the particular selected item. This will be very much helpful in manually starting a workflow in a particular item.
New to Office 365 SharePoint Online? Get Office 365 Enterprise E3 Subscription & Try out all the features
So if you have functionality where you want a workflow to run manually few often, then this quick step will help you a lot.
Create a New Quick Step
Follow below step to create a New Quick Step. Remember if you do not have SharePoint designer 2013 then you can download from Microsoft site which is a free tool to use.
Then Open your list or library for which you want to add the quickstep. Then from the ribbon click on LIST/LIBRARY tab and then click on “New Quick Step” in the Customize Library section in the ribbon.
This will open Add a Button dialog box in SharePoint designer 2013. It will provide the option to Start a new workflow or to Start an existing workflow.
If you already have a workflow in the designer, then you can select the second radio button “Start an existing workflow” option. Then you can select the Workflow from the drop-down.
If you have not created any workflow then you can choose the second option “Start a new workflow“, once you click on OK, a new workflow will open and you can add your logic in the workflow. You can check this article on how to create a SharePoint 2013 designer workflow.
Also, you need to provide the Button Image URL.
Once you build the workflow, publish the workflow. After you publish, go back to the browser and open the particular list or library. Select one item and then go to the Items tab in the Ribbon, you will be able to see the button.
Once you click on the button, it will show the Start or Cancel screen. There you can start the workflow by clicking on the Start button. like below:
Delete Quick Step Button:
Now if you want to delete the Quick Step button from the list or document library, Open the site in SharePoint designer and then open the particular list or library. From the List Settings page, from the Custom Actions section, select the button and click on Delete. It will delete the button.
You may like following SharePoint workflow tutorials:
- Impersonation step missing in SharePoint 2013 Workflow
- SharePoint designer workflow examples Create workflow using SharePoint designer 2013 video tutorial
- How to send email in visual studio 2015 workflow in SharePoint hosted add-in in SharePoint online?
- Packaging and Deploying in SharePoint 2013 designer workflow
- SharePoint 2013 Workflow App Permissions
- the request message is too big. the server does not allow messages larger than 2097152 bytes SharePoint online
- SharePoint designer 2013 Workflow: Assign task to a group using Assign a task workflow action
- SharePoint Designer 2013 Workflow: Create List Item Action with Example
Hope this will be helpful to work with Quick Step in SharePoint 2013 designer workflow.
FREE SHAREPOINT 2019 PDF
(Installation & Features)