In this article I would like to enlighten more is “SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure feature” in SharePoint. Most of us know that in SharePoint we have many features come by default and I separate them in 3 zones they are: Site Actions features, Site Collection Administration features and hidden features. We will learn what the hidden features in SharePoint are and how to get those details in my next article.
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
- 1 What is SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure Feature?
- 2 Why and when we need SharePoint Publishing Infrastructure Feature?
- 3 Steps to enable SharePoint Publishing Infrastructure Feature:
- 4 New libraries & new features added after enabling publishing feature
- 5 Disadvantages / pitfalls by enabling this feature:
- 6 Conclusion:
- 7 Similar SharePoint 2013 Tutorials
Now let us learn what “SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure” is and why & when we need it?
As the name says this feature is more to organize all the infrastructure related elements to ensure your site more aligned as per the user requirement. When I say user requirement user should be able to do minimal changes without relying on technical support team.
While we create a site collection we can select which template to be chosen as per the user requirement. To be more precise an architect / technical lead has to consider “Publishing Portal” if user look for any of the below aspects/features:
– Site should be public facing with anonymous access
– Facilitate inheriting site themes and branding
– Ability to build a handy navigation or tweak the Out Of the Box navigation
– Provision to move/copy the content across the sites in a site collection
– Advanced wiki features like rating and tagging
– Enable publishing layouts & Enterprise wiki layouts
– Make use of Content Search Query Web part to roll up content
Note: These features will come by default with “Publishing Portal” Site collection template.
Now the question comes, if we do not create a site collection with “publishing Portal” and created with “Team Site” template how to make use of these features??? This is where we need to enable “SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure” part of Site Collection Administration features in Team site get all the above features.
-> Log-on to Site with Site Collection admin / FARM account. Then click on the gear icon and then click on “Site Settings” option to navigate to the site settings page.
-> Click on Site collection feature (under Site Collection Administration) in the Site Settings page.
-> Locate “SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure” and click on “Activate” button to activate the SharePoint Publishing Infrastructure Feature.
Note: It will take 5 to 10 min time as it needs to enable various dependent features and options.
New libraries & new features added after enabling publishing feature
You can see below the new libraries and new features added to the site after enabling publishing feature.
Disadvantages / pitfalls by enabling this feature: