This SharePoint tutorial explains, what is a promoted links web part and how to create and use a promoted links webpart in SharePoint Online.
Promoted links web part in SharePoint Online
Promoted links webpart it’s a new list webpart the way of adding item into this webpart is the same as custom list webpart. But the look and feel are different. this webpart provides the tile view of items like documents, lists and libraries, Items and pages.
Create and Configure Promoted links web part in SharePoint Online
Let’s go create and configure Promoted links webpart in SharePoint Online site.
Navigate to the sharepoint site. Click Site Action -> Add an app Click to create promoted links -> Provide the title “Shortcuts” -> Create
On the First look, you get the message “The list is empty Add tiles from the promoted links view” it means there is no link is found to view in a tile. So, click on the Add tiles from the promoted links view to add the items.
Click on New Item to add the links to view in a tile.
- Title: It displays the title information of the link for display purpose
- Background Images: It displays the background images in the tile. For each item, the images are different it looks cool when you apply.
- Description: It displays the detailed information of the link
- Link Location: It helps to navigate to the links may be documents libraries, lists pages, etc..
- Launch Behavior: It will be three categories
- Page Navigation – it opens the links in the same page
- Dialog – It opens inside a page dialog
- New tab – It opens a link in separate tabs
- Order: It maintains the order of the tiles view 1,2,3,4, like this
Am just added some files into document library for viewing the purpose
Under “Csharpcorner” I have two folders. Each folder contains some documents
Now add a promoted links to this “Csharpcorner folder” like below:
Provided all the information set launch behavior as “dialog” -> Click save. So now tile has been created successfully.
Click on the tiles to view the documents.
Now am going to add more promoted links into this webpart to make look and feel awesome.
Now am just swap the order of 4 to 1 changing the order between csharpcorner and office 365.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Add Promoted Links webpart in home page of SharePoint 2013 programmatically through apps
- Create Promoted Links programmatically TemplateFeatureID Office 365 SharePoint 2013
- Working with Promoted Links App in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- SharePoint 2013 New Feature- Promoted Links App
- Enable promoted links app in SharePoint 2013 publishing site
- Promoted links SharePoint 2016
This webpart looks cool, without the writing of any code or usage of third party plugins. Try to this OOTB webpart it will help you in branding wise and satisfy some customer needs.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.