In this Article we explore SharePoint Designer 2013 provides the capability to save a workflow as a template. Saving a workflow as a template is also known as packaging the workflow. This capability absent in Sharepoint 2010 List Workflow. In this article, we explore all the steps regarding Packaging, Deploying and workflow registration. In Sharepoint 2010/2013 not all workflow types can be saved as a template. The following table shows the workflow types that can be saved as a template.
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
|Workflow type||SharePoint 2010 Workflow platform||SharePoint 2013 Workflow platform|
Created an SPD designer workflow in One (TEST) environment and want to deploy onto other (Production) environment.
Follow the below steps to move workflow into other (production) environment site:
In order to use this workflow on another server, you have to save this workflow as a SharePoint solution package (.wsp file), and then deploy it as a solution in the other server (Production). To package a workflow follow these steps:
- Open site in SharePoint Designer 2013
- On the Workflow Settings tab in the ribbon, click the Save as Template button in the Manage section as shown in the figure.
- The .wsp file is now located in the Site Asset library in the Site Collection on your Test Server.
- Go to Site Content => Site Assets and you will find Exception Approval .wsp file.
- Download a copy of this file to a directory on your computer.
- Open Internet Explorer and navigate to the site collection you want to deploy the SharePoint 2013 designer workflow.
- Copy the .wsp file from your computer to a local directory on your Production server.
- Click Site Actions and select Site Settings.
- In the Web Design Galleries section click Solutions.
- Click the Upload .WSP Solution button to upload the solution as shown in the figure.
– Activate the solution by clicking the Activate button as shown in the figure.
Figure: Activate Solution dialog and button
After a workflow solution has been activated for a site collection follows this procedure.
Activate the workflow feature
- Open Site Settings on the site where you wish to activate the workflow feature.
- In the Site Actions group, click Manage site features.
- Click Activate next to the workflow feature as shown in the figure.
Figure: Activate workflow feature for site
You may like following SharePoint workflow tutorials:
- SharePoint Online Video: Deploy SharePoint Designer Workflow into Production
- SharePoint designer workflow examples Create workflow using SharePoint designer 2013 video tutorial
- How to add edit task form URL inside SharePoint 2013 designer workflow email?
- How to Trigger Sharepoint 2013 Designer workflow on a list item by calling REST API using jQuery?
- Impersonation step missing in SharePoint 2013 Workflow
- How to hide approve reject workflow approval button from ribbon in SharePoint online using CSS?
- How to send email in visual studio 2015 workflow in SharePoint hosted add-in in SharePoint online?
Note: In the workflow, if you are using an app step then must follow the following Steps after deployment Register workflow App permission.
Solutions. I am currently working on Sharepoint 2010, MOSS 2007, Sharepoint 2013,Sharepoint 2013 App Dev, C#, ASP.NET, and SQL Server 2008.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.