This SharePoint 2013 tutorial explains, how to view HTML file in the browser rather download in SharePoint 2013/2016. Recently I have created an HTML page and when I tried to browse the HTML file, it always asked me to download the HTML file rather open the HTML file in the browser in SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint 2016.
Open html file in browser in SharePoint 2013/2016
One way is you can rename the file from .html to .aspx, then it will open in the browser in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Before to go to the solution, you can create an HTML page through SharePoint designer 2013. Open your site in the SharePoint 2013 designer, then click on the Site Pages under Site Objects. Then from the Ribbon click on Page and then HTML. It will create the HTML page like below:
In SharePoint Central Administration -> Application Management -> Manage Web Applications > Then select the particular web application and then select General Settings from Ribbon as shown in the fig below:
Then go to the Browser File Handling section, choose Permissive. And then click on OK as shown in the fig below:
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- How to open documents in browser in SharePoint online document library?
- SharePoint online document library aspx pages asking to save not opening in browser
- SharePoint 2016 supported browsers and browser supported in SharePoint Online and SharePoint 2013
- How to use Page viewer web part in SharePoint 2016/2013 or Online
- Steps to add HTML Master Page to SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint online using Design Manager
- Create Custom Tiles using HTML CSS and KnockoutJS in SharePoint 2013
- Remove unwanted HTML tags from SharePoint
Now try to browse any HTML file in SharePoint, it will not ask users to download the HTML file, rather will open in the HTML file in the browser in SharePoint 2013/2016. Hope this will be helpful.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.