This SharePoint 2013 Online tutorial, we will discuss how to open documents in client applications by default SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013/2016.
Open documents in client applications by default sharepoint online
We have a SharePoint document library where the user can able to upload various office documents like word, excel or powerpoint. Now whenever the user wants to open the document then it is opening in the browser but the requirement is not to open in the browser, it should open in the default client application.
By default, a SharePoint document library allows the user to open the document in the browser. If you want to change to open the document is the default client application then follow below steps:
Open the SharePoint document library, then go to the library settings and then in the library settings page click on Advanced settings under General settings.
In the advanced settings page, go to the “Open Documents in the Browser” section. You will see by default the 3rd dropdown must have been selected “Use the server default (Open in the browser)” option.
Change that to the first option which is “Open in the client application” like below:
Then click on OK and save the settings. Now, whenever the user opens any document, then it will ask to open in the client application like below:
You may like following SharePoint document library tutorials:
- Difference between SharePoint classic and modern experiences in list and library
- How to change list and library default experience in SharePoint online
- The file filename is not checked out. You must first check out this document before making changes.
- Disable or Hide Sync Button at SharePoint Online Site and Document Libraries Level
- How to display more than 3 views in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online list or document library
- How to check the Description of the Document Library in SharePoint 2013 and SharePoint Online?
- Upload documents from network drive to SharePoint 2013/2016 Server document library using PowerShell
- Upload documents to SharePoint document library using PowerShell Remotely
This SharePoint tutorial, we learned how to open documents in client applications by default sharepoint online or SharePoint 2013/2016.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.