New Delegate Control in SharePoint 2013
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
This SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss what are the new delegate controls added in SharePoint 2013 compared to SharePoint 2010.
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
In SharePoint 2013, three new delegate controls were introduced. These were actually based on the new master page structure in SharePoint 2013. Since in SharePoint 2013 we have “suites” defined in layout i.e. left suite bar and right suite bar, so the delegate controls are based on them.
These Controls are:
- PromotedActions Delegate Control
- SuiteBarBrandingDelegate delegate Control
- SuiteLinksDelegate delegate Control
So let’s take a look at where these controls are placed on the Master page and how we can replace them.
Delegate control is that part of a header that contains links like “Share, Follow, EDIT ” etc. It is empty Out-Of-The-Box, but you could add your own elements/functionality in there.
You could also move the 3 elements listed below around to sort the links in a better way, for instance having all your custom actions first and then the ones provided by SharePoint to its right.
An example: So we can use this delegate control to add our own controls to adding an additional link may look like this:
This delegate care about the top left site logo and text. Facilitates us to override the left-top corner text for the site. This text can only be replaced by Overriding SuiteBarBrandingDelegate Delegate Control with Custom Control Created using Visual Studio. Normally, there’s a text reading “SharePoint”. So we can replace it with the title of our own site:
After applying delegate control:
SuiteLinksDelegate is a new delegate control introduced in SharePoint 2013. If you are looking to add a new link just next to “Sites, NewsFeed, SkyDrive” etc. on the top bar of your SharePoint site. You can now do that with a new delegate control “SuiteLinksDelegate”. The SuiteLinksDelegate control will allow us to modify the default links,
For Example: To add our own links, in the “suit links” section
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Autocomplete feature in SharePoint 2013 list column using SPServices in SharePoint 2013
- Move documents/items from one list/library to another list/library with metadata in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- SharePoint 2013/2016/2019 Missing Blank Site Template
- SharePoint2013: How to use of PreSaveAction() on list forms
- How to use SharePoint Online Management Shell
- Column ContentType does not exist. It may have been deleted by another user
- Lookup are not appearing in SharePoint 2013 after migrating from MOSS 2007
- SharePoint 2013 failed to find the XML file at location ’15 template features
- SharePoint 2013: Logs for Analyzing or troubleshooting the issues related to workflows or Workflow Manager
- Create a managed path in SharePoint 2013/2016 using PowerShell
- Errors were found when compiling the workflow. The workflow files were saved but cannot be run.
- File not found error in SharePoint 2013 while Opening Subsites
Here, we learned what are the new delegate controls added in SharePoint 2013 like PromotedActions Delegate Control, SuiteBarBrandingDelegate delegate Control, SuiteLinksDelegate delegate Control
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.