This SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss, the need to move SharePoint Databases to new SQL Server and how to move the SharePoint database to the new SQL Server.
It is mainly used on the organization platforms for data integration, data analysis, and processing components. It is very stable, popular, affordable, as well as a fast database engine.
Why do users need to move SharePoint database to SQL Server?
SharePoint is a web-based application, which enables an organization to work more professionally by allowing the users to share the data, information, and documents. There are various SharePoint products for an organization, which offers a unique set of advantages to users.
However, there is some circumstance that is faced by users while using SQL Server such as – SharePoint has some file size limit because of which it creates a problem in synchronization of the file. It even blocks some file types to be uploaded on SharePoint. It does not have any profile pages for any external content type. It does not work in offline mode; it needs proper internet connectivity to work. Even, it does not have any search integration.
Move SharePoint databases to new sql server
The user can easily move the SharePoint database to a new SQL Server by following the steps given below:
Run CMD in administration mode and type the following command:
Now a client-server-client network utility window will appear, enable the TCP/IP on it. Select Alias >> Add > type the same name for server >> OK
Then Open SharePoint management shell and type a command
Now the entire database for SharePoint will be listed.
Copy all the GUID and paste it into a notepad file.
Now type a command on SharePoint management shell
Write the following command and then type an update command
Follow the above two steps for all GUID’s
Now, Start all the SharePoint services that were stopped earlier and Open SQL administration and enter credentials.
Now, you can easily view your entire SharePoint database in SQL Server. The above blog discusses a procedure for migrating SharePoint database to SQL Server with the combined usage of CMD and PowerShell. Users need to use cmdlet for moving the data from one database to a new server however, a set of requirements needs to be fulfilled beforehand to make the procedure feasible.
You may like following SharePoint database tutorials:
- Get Content DataBase Size Using PowerShell in SharePoint 2013
- Get SharePoint content database size using PowerShell and server object model
- An error has occurred while accessing the SQL Server database or the SharePoint Server Search service
- Find content database name for site collection using PowerShell in SharePoint 2013/2016
- SharePoint 2016 Error New-SPConfigurationDatabase some or all identity references could not be translated Supply values for parameter Credential
- Get content database sizes for all web applications in a SharePoint farm using PowerShell
- Cannot connect to the configuration database error in Sharepoint
- Reporting Services Catalog Database File Existence Error while installing SharePoint 2016
- Backup and Restore content database SharePoint 2013
- Excel service to import external database using a secure store connection in SharePoint
- Data Refreshing issue Access Denied to Analysis services Database. Contact Administrator SharePoint Business Intelligence (BI) services
- Export to database failed. To export a list you must have a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible application error in SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint 2016 New-SPConfigurationDatabase Server role parameter is required when creating or joining a farm
- Prevent new sites to be added to content databases in SharePoint 2013
- Content databases are growing too large in SharePoint 2013/2016
I hope this will be helpful to know the need to move SharePoint Databases to new SQL Server and how to move the SharePoint database to new SQL Server.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.