This SharePoint 2013 tutorial explains, how to move documents from one list or document library to another list or library with preserving the metadata like created, modified date or created and modified by in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013/2016.
In this example, I have a list in my top site in my SharePoint 2013 online site and I want to move that list item to a child site.
Here you can see in the below MyAnnouncement list I have one item which was created in November 27.
And we will try to move this item to other list where it will display the modified same as this date.
Move documents/items from one list/library to another list/library with metadata in SharePoint
Open the SharePoint site and Go to the site settings and then click on “Content and structure” which is under Site Administration. This will open the site content and structure page.
If you do not see the Content and Structure option in Site Settings page then you can follow Site content and structure missing in SharePoint 2016/2013/Online.
There select the particular SharePoint list from which you want to move or copy the item.
Then in the right side select the items which you want to move or copy and then click on Actions -> Move…
This will open a dialog box Specify the destination to move the items you selected. There you can choose the subsite and then the particular list to where you want to move. Then click on OK.
Then it will process to move the item and once it is finished you will be able to see the items like below. As you can see here the item is added (moved) today but the modified date did not change.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Error while opening content and structure in SharePoint 2013 site collection or subsites
- Create a Unique Project ID and automated folder structure under document library using Event Receiver in SharePoint 2013/2016/2019
- Migrate files with a folder structure to SharePoint 2013 document library using PowerShell
- SharePoint Online Content Query Web Part FAQ
- Change column ordering in list forms in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- Get all lists and document libraries programmatically using CSOM in SharePoint Online
- Save site as template option missing in SharePoint online
- Different ways to hide/disable quick edit in a list in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- Change default list view style using CSS in SharePoint Online/2016/2013
Hope this SharePoint tutorial helps to move documents with metadata from one document library to another document library in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013/2016. We can also move list items with metadata from one list to another list using same approach in SharePoint Online/2016/2013.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)