Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010 tutorial
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
In this SharePoint designer 2010
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
- 1 What is SharePoint designer 2010?
- 2 Download SharePoint designer 2010
- 3 What can be done using SharePoint 2010 Designer?
- 4 Control SharePoint Designer from Central Administration
- 5 Add web part zone using SharePoint designer 2010
- 6 The server could not complete your request SharePoint designer 2010
- 7 Create a custom data source in SharePoint 2010 designer
- 8 Microsoft SharePoint Designer does not support editing non-SharePoint sites
SharePoint designer 2010 is a free tool provided by Microsoft. SharePoint designer 2010 provides no code solution. It provides a very user-friendly interface similar to Microsoft office 2010. You can customize using SharePoint sites using SharePoint designer 2010.
SharePoint Designer (SPD) is a powerful tool for editing sites in SharePoint. SharePoint designer 2010 comes with lots of new features and looks very different from SharePoint designer 2007. SharePoint designer 2010 is a no code tool, that means you can not write any code using this tool.
It requires very less amount of training for the user to start working with SharePoint designer 2010, without depending on the IT department. It is easy to develop something using SharePoint designer that to develop a custom solution.
Administrators can restrict users from using SharePoint designer. And also one thing to remember is SharePoint Designer 2010 works only with SharePoint 2010. You can not open a MOSS 2007 site in SharePoint 2010.
You can download SharePoint designer 2010 from MSDN. SharePoint designer 2010 comes with the 32-bit version and 64-bit version. SharePoint designer comes with 32 bit as well as 64 bit. Based on the Office installation on your system, you can download 32-bit or 64-bit SharePoint designer 2010.
You can install SharePoint designer in any operating system, you do not need to in the SharePoint server.
By using Microsoft SharePoint designer 2010, you can do below customization in SharePoint 2010 sites.
- Can design components like lists, data sources, content types, views, forms, workflows, and external content types, without writing any code.
- Personalize pages, page layouts, Web Parts, Web Part Pages, layouts, and themes.
- You can create, customize a master page and CSS classes.
- Create and manage lists and document libraries.
- Can design SharePoint 2010 simple workflows, also you can work on import workflows designed for Microsoft Visio 2010.
- Manage content-types and site columns, to model typed lists of contents.
- You can create pages in SharePoint 2010.
- You can also Manage users and groups. You can prevent users from customizing pages, master pages, or page layouts to keep a consistent look and feel across your site.
- Manage files and assets of the target site.
- Also, you can communicate with external data sources like business data connectivity services.
- You can import or export Visio process diagrams.
- You can open site, create a site by SharePoint designer 2010.
- You can do tasks
like:creating sites, managing users, lists, and libraries, and even, content types and site columns, branding, creating workflows, and connecting to external data sources.
Now, we will discuss how to Control SharePoint Designer from Central Administration.
SharePoint 2010 has one of the major features is that now you can control your SharePoint Designer 2010 settings from your SharePoint designer. Through SharePoint central administration you can set the below tasks.
Enable SharePoint Designer: Determines whether SharePoint Designer can be used or not. If you will set no means you can not able to open the site using SharePoint Designer 2010.
Enable Detaching Pages from the Site Definition: Allows edited pages to be customized, which detaches them from the site definition.
Enable Customizing Master Pages and Layout Pages: Enables the Master Page link from the Navigation pane. When disabled, it prevents users from updating master pages and layout pages.
Enable Managing of the Web Site URL Structure: Enables the All Files link on the Navigation pane, which allows users to manage all of the folders and files for a given site.
To set this Open SharePoint 2010 central administration. Go to General Settings -> In that General Settings page go to the SharePoint Designer section and click on Configure SharePoint Designer settings as shown in the figure below.
Now in the SharePoint designer settings page, You have different checkboxes present for doing different tasks. You can check for what are the features want as shown in the figure below. And then click on OK.
Now, we will see how to add a web part zone to a SharePoint site home page using SharePoint designer 2010.
Follow below steps to add a web part zone to SharePoint site:
Open the page using SharePoint designer 2010, Either you can click on Site Actions -> Edit in SharePoint designer or you can Open the site from Start Menu -> All Programs -> SharePoint -> Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010.
Then click on Edit site home page link as shown in the figure below:
This will open the site in Edit mode. But it is necessary to edit the page in Advanced Mode. So from the Home Tab in the Ribbon click on Advanced Mode from the Editing section like below:
Then put the cursor where you want to add the web part zone, then go to the Insert tab from the Ribbon and click on Web Part Zone, like below, it will add a web part zone.
Now, we will discuss how to solve error “The server could not complete your request SharePoint designer 2010”.
You might get this error while trying to open SharePoint site using SharePoint designer 2010. The error message is “The server could not complete your request SharePoint designer 2010”.
Below are some solutions you can try:
There can be various reasons for this but one obvious reason is that related to security and authentication. So its better to check a couple of things like:
Open IIS manager, Select Windows authentication and after that go to Advanced Settings and make sure Enable Kernel-mode authentication is checked. Then Reset IIS.
Open the IIS Manager. Recycle the application pool. Now try opening the SharePoint designer.
You can also check whether your SharePoint Designer option is enabled or not from the central administration. You can open SharePoint Central Administration -> Go to General Application Settings -> SharePoint Designer and check whether the SharePoint Designer option is enabled or not.
Also If the web application has more than one binding in IIS then you will get this error also.
SharePoint site authentication should match with your IIS authentication which is very important.
This is how we can fix error The server could not complete your request SharePoint designer 2010.
Now, we will discuss how to create custom data source in SharePoint 2010 designer.
Data Sources provides information about where information will come from. The data source also defines the form of the data, including what values and data types are associated with each field. The data can come from a SharePoint list or a table in SQL Server.
In addition to retrieving data, data sources can also be configured to insert, update, or delete information from the underlying data source, if the user has the necessary security privileges.
A SharePoint site can have some default data sources as well as you can create some data sources by using SharePoint designer. If you open your web site in SharePoint Designer and click Data Sources within the Navigation pane, the Data Sources Gallery displays.
Data sources are created in one of two ways: automatically or manually. SharePoint Designer automatically exposes data sources associated with internal and external lists and with libraries that exist within the site.
Create a data source in SharePoint designer:
Open the Data Sources Gallery by clicking Data Sources in the Navigation pane.
Select the list you wish to use in the gallery page and then click Copy and Modify from the Actions group on the Data Sources tab on the menu as shown in the figure below:
This will open the Data Source properties dialog box. Using the options on the Source tab, you can select the fields to be made available through the data source, the sort order for the data, and any filters that may be needed to limit the items returned. See fig below:
Then from the General tab, Set the name and description for the new data source and then click OK to create it. See figure below:
This will successfully create the data source.
Internally this is an XML file that is stored in the below location. Click on the All Files then select _catalogs then click on fpdatasources and then that MyCustomDataSource.xml file. fpdatasources folder contains all the manually created data sources.
Now, we will discuss how to fix the error “Microsoft SharePoint Designer does not support editing non-SharePoint sites” which comes in SharePoint designer 2010.
This error comes when I try to Open a SharePoint 2010 site using SharePoint 2010 designer. The error message was: Microsoft SharePoint Designer does not support editing non-SharePoint sites.
To resolve this issue follow the below steps:
- Open SharePoint 2010 Central Administration and then click on Security from the left side.
- Then click on Specify authentication providers.
- If the Web application in the Web Application list is not the same application that you want to open in SharePoint Designer 2010, click Web Application on the Change Web Application list. Then click on the web application name that you want to open.
- Under Zone, Click Default to open the Edit Authentication page.
- Under Enable Client Integration, click Yes, and then click Save
After this restart your SharePoint designer once and the error should not come now.
You may like following SharePoint designer 2010 tutorial:
- Change URL of List or document Library using SharePoint Designer 2010
- SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Edit Item or Display Item
- How to Clear Your SharePoint Designer 2010 or 2013 Cache?
- How to create an HTML email message in the SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow?
- By default, the Build Dynamic String action is not available in SharePoint Designer 2010
- Change due date for Task list in SharePoint designer 2010 workflow
- The server could not complete your request SharePoint designer 2010
- SharePoint 2010: Create a new custom master page using SharePoint designer 2010
Hope this SharePoint 2010 tutorial explains SharePoint designer 2010, also what are possible by using SharePoint designer 2010. Download links for SharePoint designer 2010 32-bit and 64-bit.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.