In this post, we will discuss the Managed Metadata service in SharePoint 2013. It manages taxonomy hierarchies, keywords, and social tagging infrastructure, and publish content types across site collections.
New to Office 365 SharePoint Online? Get Office 365 Enterprise E3 Subscription & Try out all the features
Metadata plays a very critical role in defining a strict policy of tagging items based on specific terms only which will internally help people to find and locate the information easily when they search any content specific to their area of interest. When any items tagged properly, then the search becomes very easy.
To use managed metadata, a web application need to have a connection to the managed metadata service. When managed metadata service is created, a connection will be created to the web application.
Configure managed metadata service :
1. Central Administration -> Application Management -> Manage service applications -> New
2. Select Managed Metadata Service
3. SharePoint will prompt you a little wizard and you have to fill some information to create your service.
4. When you finished giving all the information to the wizard, you should see that the service has been started
5. After creating managed metadata service, we need to check the following properties (Managed metadata service -> Properties(top ribbon)).
6. On the ribbon click to Administrators and provide a user who will get “full control” for these services.
Managing your Term Store from your Content Type Hub :
a. In your Content Type Hub Site Collection we created in the first part, go into Site Settings -> Site Administration -> Term Store Management.
b. Create a new Term Set, and creates new Terms.
Read some SharePoint 2013 tutorials:
- Powershell script to copy column items for one column to another column within the list
- PowerShell commands for scheduling user profile timer job
- Configure Managed Paths in SharePoint 2010
- SharePoint 2016 Open HTML File in Browser Instead of Promoting to Download
Hope this will be helpful.
FREE SHAREPOINT 2019 PDF
(Installation & Features)