In the present arena, both Lotus Notes and Outlook has emerged as powerful email clients. Both of them are applications used for emailing, tracking important events and dates and to be in contact with the people. However, due to some advanced features of Outlook, people migrate from Lotus Notes to Outlook.
Contrast Between File Formats Of Outlook and Lotus Notes:
Outlook saves data file in PST (personal Storage Table) format while Lotus Notes saves in NSF (Notes Storage Format). The file extensions for them are different so it is not possible to open a PST file in Lotus Notes or vice versa. Scenarios arise when there is a need to access Lotus Notes emails in Outlook and thus there is need to migrate emails from Lotus Notes to Outlook 2010.
Also check out:
– Auto populate current logged in user name in SharePoint 2010 People Picker control
– Update List item in batch in SharePoint 2013
– Different ways to check logs in SharePoint
Reasons To Migrate Emails From Lotus Notes To Outlook 2010:
The main motive in designing an application is the convenience of users with the full utilization of the resources. The two giant email clients- Lotus Notes and Outlook are designed in order to meet all the requirements of the modern time. However, Outlook had gone one step forward than Notes in rendering its services. Some of the reasons to migrate emails from IBM to Microsoft mail client can be considered as:
– Creating backup decreases the chances of data loss. In Outlook, backup files for emails can be easily created as compared to Lotus Notes.
– The interface provided by Outlook is much flexible than Lotus Notes. It is easier to use and learn Outlook as compared to Lotus Notes.
– Multiple accounts can be configured with both Outlook and Lotus Notes. However, the way of accessing the accounts differ. In Outlook, all the accounts can be accessed from Outlook Window while in Lotus Notes; sign in to different account is done separately.
How To Migrate Emails From Lotus Notes To Outlook 2010
1. Using Import Export Wizard
The migration of emails using export and import wizard is basically divided into two steps:
a) Export Lotus Notes file to CSV
b) Import exported file in Outlook.
Lotus Notes emails are exported in “Tabular text” or “Structured Text” which are supported by Outlook. The files are then imported in Outlook as “Comma Separated Values” or “Tab Separated Values”.
Limitations: Using this process, only contacts from NSF file can be migrated. Rest of the mail data, i.e. emails calendars, tasks etc will not be migrated.
2. Using Export Notes Software
You can migrate emails from Lotus Notes to Outlook 2010 using Export Notes. Through this software, bulk migration of emails is possible. Mail filter option is provided by the software in order to migrate emails between specified dates. If Lotus Notes emails are encrypted, using the tool one can remove the security and have decrypted emails in PST file.