Impersonation step missing in SharePoint 2013 Workflow
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
Here we will discuss the issue “Impersonation step missing in SharePoint 2013 Workflow”. Impersonation step is the concept of SharePoint 2010 and the workflow action was available in SharePoint designer 2010.
But this action is not available in SharePoint 2013 workflow platform.
A SharePoint designer workflow runs under the permission of the user who started the workflow. But in some steps, the workflow may require the user to have some more permission. If elevated permissions are not used in those steps then the workflow will not work with access denied error. In those cases in SharePoint 2010 “Impersonation step” was helpful. But in SharePoint 2013 a similar step is available known as “App Step”. Any actions placed inside an App Step will have Read/Write permissions to all Items in the site, such as site lists.
Let us say we have a requirement like below:
I have two document libraries and if a user uploads one document to one library, I want the document to be copied to my second document library. But as per my requirement, I can not provide contribute access to anyone except few people into my second document library. But you need to contribute access to copy item.
In the above kind of requirement, we can use the app step and we can add the copy document activity inside the App Step.
If you are not able to see the “App Step” inside SharePoint 2013 designer workflow then make sure the below feature is activated like below:
- Workflows can use app permissions
If it is not activated, activate it and then open SharePoint 2013 designer. You should be able to see the app step in the SharePoint designer workflow.
You may like following SharePoint designer workflow tutorials:
- Deploy SharePoint 2013 designer workflow into production in SharePoint online
- SharePoint Online Create Workflow History List using PowerShell or using SharePoint Designer 2013
- SharePoint 2013 designer workflow Add edit task form url inside email
- Create a Sequential workflow using visual Studio 2010 in SharePoint 2010
- Create Workflow Activity using Visual Studio 2010 in SharePoint 2010
- Create approval workflow sharepoint 2010 using SharePoint designer
- Project Site Creation Using Nintex Workflows 2013 based on a Enterprise Project Type
- How to create HTML email message in SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow?
Hope this SharePoint workflow tutorial helps to solve Impersonation step missing in SharePoint 2013 Workflow issue.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)