This SharePoint designer tutorial, we will discuss the impersonation step in SharePoint 2010 designer workflow.
we will also see one example of how we can use the impersonation step in SharePoint designer 2010 workflow.
The impersonation step has been replaced as App Steps in SharePoint designer 2013 workflow.
Impersonation step in SharePoint 2010 designer workflow
By default, a workflow runs by default using the permissions of the user who started the workflow. But suppose you want to delete an item from a list in the workflow. But maybe the user who started the workflow may not have sufficient permission to delete an item from the list. So, in that case, it will give an access denied error message.
So here in this type of situation, we need to use the impersonation step. Impersonation steps run with the permissions of the person who last saved the workflow.
This enables a person running a workflow to perform actions within impersonation steps that their permissions would not otherwise allow.
Below is the way you can add an impersonation step to the designer workflow:
Open your SharePoint workflow and from the Ribbon select Impersonation Step from the Ribbon as shown in the figure below:
The above step will add the Impersonation step section to the workflow like below. In that block, you can add your workflow Actions.
You may like following SharePoint designer 2010 tutorial:
- Change URL of List or document Library using SharePoint Designer 2010
- SharePoint Designer 2010 Workflow Email Link To Edit Item or Display Item
- How to Clear Your SharePoint Designer 2010 or 2013 Cache?
- How to create an HTML email message in the SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow?
- By default, the Build Dynamic String action is not available in SharePoint Designer 2010
- Change due date for Task list in SharePoint designer 2010 workflow
- The server could not complete your request SharePoint designer 2010
- SharePoint 2010: Create a new custom master page using SharePoint designer 2010
- Deploy SharePoint 2013 designer workflow to different site in SharePoint 2013
I hope this tutorial helps to learn how to use impersonation steps in SharePoint designer 2010 workflow.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.