Image rendition in SharePoint 2013 tutorial
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
This SharePoint tutorial, we will disucss how to configure and use Image rendition feature in publishing site collections in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Image rendition in SharePoint 2013
Now let us understand what is image rendition in SharePoint 2013/2016.
- Image rendition helps to display the image with different height and width of the same image on different pages in a publishing site.
- When you create an image rendition, you specify the width and/or height for all images that use that image rendition.
- Image renditions are available for all the images to upload into the SharePoint libraries.
Prerequisites for image renditions in SharePoint
We require BLOB Cache to be configured in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Now let’s go and see how to enable cache settings for a web application in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Open IIS Manager and then Navigate to the IIS web site -> Click Explore.
Then Open the web application web.config file and Find the below line:
<BlobCache location="C:\BlobCache\14" path="\.(gif|jpg|jpeg|jpe|jfif|bmp|dib|tif|tiff|themedbmp|themedcss|themedgif|themedjpg|themedpng|ico|png|wdp|hdp|css|js|asf|avi|flv|m4v|mov|mp3|mp4|mpeg|mpg|rm|rmvb|wma|wmv|ogg|ogv|oga|webm|xap)$" maxSize="10" enabled="false" />
Set Enable = “True”
<BlobCache location="C:\BlobCache\14" path="\.(gif|jpg|jpeg|jpe|jfif|bmp|dib|tif|tiff|themedbmp|themedcss|themedgif|themedjpg|themedpng|ico|png|wdp|hdp|css|js|asf|avi|flv|m4v|mov|mp3|mp4|mpeg|mpg|rm|rmvb|wma|wmv|ogg|ogv|oga|webm|xap)$" maxSize="10" enabled="true" />
Now the cache settings is successfully enabled for the particular SharePoint web application.
Now, we will create a publishing site in the SharePoint 2013 or any site where publishing feature in enabled.
Let’s create a publishing site collection in SharePoint 2013/2016,
After the successful creation of publishing site collection in SharePoint, enable the SharePoint server publishing features under site collection features and manage site collection feature in SharePoint 2013.
Asset library is useful for storing rich media assets for example images, videos and audio files
On, site settings -> Click Add an app -> Pick Asset library template app.
Next step let’s go and creating image rendition. Open SharePoint site settings -> Under look and feel -> Click Image rendition.
Click New. Provide the width and height of the image rendition.
Click Save. So now the Image rendition has been created successfully in SharePoint 2013.
Now, “logo” has been successfully created. Edit Image rendition. Click on the Edit icon.
Change the given width and height of the created rendition and click Save.
So now the image rendition has been “Edited” successfully.
Let’s go and upload a sample image into the asset library and pick the rendition. After successful upload of an image -> Click Edit renditions.
So the rendition has been created successfully for the uploaded image automatically.
You can also “Crop the image” using Click to change the option below the image.
Crop it and Click Save.
In the ribbon tab also you can also edit the rendition option while selecting the image.
Next step how to use image rendition in the SharePoint page. Click on site action gear icon -> Add page. On the page content. Click on the top ribbon to insert a picture from the following options.
Click Insert. On the Image tab -> Pick Rendition.
Click Save -> Publish. So as of now, you can able to use the same image with different height and width on different pages using this feature.
How to use the Image rendition on the image tag
<img src=" /sites/imr/PublishingImages/17457619_1377913145602400_6065847167570624938_n.jpg? RenditionID=5" />
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Cross site publishing in SharePoint 2013
- Get features (with hidden) using PowerShell in SharePoint 2013/2016
- SharePoint Enterprise Feature Activation 2013
- Difference between Team site and Publishing site in SharePoint 2013
- Powershell and STSADM command to install activate feature SharePoint 2010/2013/2016
- SharePoint 2010 to SharePoint 2013/2016/2019 Migration Steps (Database attach method)
- Save site as template option missing in SharePoint online
- Design manager is missing in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- Create a custom master page using Visual Studio in SharePoint 2016/2013
- Save site as template in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
This SharePoint tutorial explains, how to work with image rendition in SharePoint 2013/2016.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)