This SharePoint 2013/2016 tutorial explains, how to resolve http error 503. the service is unavailable which comes in SharePoint 2013/2016. I got the “http error 503. the service is unavailable. SharePoint” error while opening SharePoint 2013/2016 Central Administration.
Recently some Windows and SharePoint 2013 updates happened on my laptop. After that when I restart my laptop and try to open the SharePoint 2013 Central Administration, I got the below error:
HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable.
HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable
If you are getting http error 503. the service is unavailable error while openinSharePointnt 2013/2016 central administration, then you can check the below things.
- If you have changed your account password which you are using in SharePoint 2013/2016, then you may get this error.
- The next thing is you can check whether some services like SharePoint Administration, and SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) are running or not. Go running and writing services.msc and click on OK. This will open the services screen. There you can check whether SharePoint Administration, SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) are running or not. If those are not running then you can right-click on the particular service and click on Start.
- But the problem I found in my case is that the SharePoint Central Administration Application Pool has been stopped like below:
To start go to Run -> inetmgr. This will open the IIS. There click on Application Pools from the left side. This will open all the application pools. Select the application pool, Right Click -> Start.
Once the application pool is in running mode, you should be able to Open SharePoint 2013/2016 central administration. The error http error 503. the service is unavailable should not come while opening SharePoint 2013 central administration or SharePoint 2016 central administration.
HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable in SharePoint 2010
Now we will see the solution for the SharePoint error message “HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable in SharePoint”. This error comes in my case when I changed the account password which I used to login to the central administration.
I will personally recommend you to do two things if you got the above error.
STSADM command-line tool provides a good command to update farm credentials. To use this:
Open command prompt in Administrator mode (Go to Start type cmd and then right click on cmd and click Run as Administrator).
Then in the command prompt navigate to Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\14\BIN (for SharePoint 2010).
Then run the below command:
stsadm.exe -o updatefarmcredentials -userlogin <Domain\username> -password <give new password>
It will give a successful message.
After that do an IISRESET.
Now try opening your central administration, it should work now.
If the above solution did not work then you can try Solution-2 below:
- Go to Start -> All Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- Then Click on(+) the server name -> Application Pools then locate your application pools.
- Right-click on the Application pool name go to Advance settings -> Go to process model then Identity Click on the Identity -> Set and then give the user name, password, and confirm password.
Event ID: Application pool ‘SharePoint Central Administration v4’ is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures
Let us see how to resolve an error that comes from SharePoint 2013 central administration.
Below is the full error message:
HTTP Error 503 – Service is Unavailable
Error Message :
“Application pool ‘SharePoint Central Administration v4’ is being automatically disabled due to a series of failures in the process(es) serving that application pool.”
“The Module DLL ‘C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\isapi\owssvr.dll’ could not be loaded due to a configuration problem. The current configuration only supports loading images built for an x86 processor architecture. The data field contains the error number. To learn more about this issue, including how to troubleshooting this kind of processor architecture mismatch error, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=29349.”
- Goto IIS manager ->Application Pool,
- click ‘SharePoint Central Administration v4’
- Right-click Advanced settings, and set “Enable 32-bit applications” to “False”
Hopefully one of the solutions will work for you.
You may like the following tutorials:
- Download SharePoint Manager
- Excel cannot connect to the SharePoint list
- install and configure Active directory windows server 2012 r2
- Installation of one or more roles role services or features failed windows 2016
- This edition cannot be upgraded error in Windows server 2016 datacenter
After working for more than 15 years in Microsoft technologies like SharePoint, Office 365, and Power Platform (Power Apps, Power Automate, and Power BI), I thought will share my SharePoint expertise knowledge with the world. Our audiences are from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc. For my expertise knowledge and SharePoint tutorials, Microsoft has been awarded a Microsoft SharePoint MVP (9 times). I have also worked in companies like HP, TCS, KPIT, etc.