How to use MOSS 2007 list template in SharePoint 2013?
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
This SharePoint 2013 tutorial explains, how to use MOSS 2007 list template in SharePoint 2013. We will see how to solve Microsoft SharePoint Foundation version 3 templates are not supported in this version of the product.
Recently we got few requirements to have few lists from MOSS 2007 to SharePoint 2013. It is very difficult to create those lists manually and insert an item to those lists. But directly you can not use the list templates from MOSS 2007 in SharePoint 2013.
If you will try to use MOSS 2007 templates in SharePoint 2013 directly, you will get the error something like below:
Microsoft SharePoint Foundation version 3 templates are not supported in this version of the product.
Microsoft SharePoint Foundation version 3 templates are not supported in this version of the product
But you can follow below steps to achieve the result.
First Save the list as a template in MOSS 2007 which will give you a .stp file.
Now download the .stp file from the List Template Gallery from the site collection.
After this just rename the .stp file to .cab file. So if your template file is MyTestListTemplate.stp, after renaming it should be MyTestListTemplate.cab. While renaming it will show a dialog box which will say “If you change a file name extension, the file might become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?” Click on Yes.
Then you can unzip using 7-zip and you will find a file name as manifest.xml file. Open it using notepad and search for ProductVersion.
You will see something like below:
There change the product version to 4 which will look like below:
See fig below:
In the next step, use the makecab.exe to convert the file to cab file.
makecab.exe c:\manifest.xml c:\template.cab makecab.exe F:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\MyTestListTemplate\manifest.xml F:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\MyTestListTemplate.cab
The above command will make the .cab file.
In the next step, rename the file to .stp from .cab.
Now you can upload the template file to the list template gallery. And after that you will be able to create a list using that list template.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Save site as template option missing in SharePoint online
- SharePoint 2019 modern Team site template missing while creating subsites
- Retrieve SharePoint Online List Templates using PowerShell
- How to retrieve all site templates available in SharePoint Online using PowerShell?
- How to find which template is used for a site in SharePoint Online Office 365
- Retrieve all site templates using PowerShell and server object model in SharePoint 2016/2013
- SharePoint 2013/2016/Online: Working with JSLink Templates Fields
- Save list as a template in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- Enable Save Site as Template option in Publishing Site in SharePoint Online using PowerShell
Hope this will be helpful to use MOSS 2007 list template in SharePoint 2013.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.