In this post, we will discuss how to extract a .stp file and then how to make a .stp file from the extracted files in SharePoint. We have created a custom list template which usually saves as a .stp file. After saving this .stp file we wanted to modify something in the manifest.xml file.
Extract and make stp file in SharePoint Online
Let us see step by step how to extract and make stp file in SharePoint Online.
First you can extract the .stp file. Here I have used 7-Zip to extract it like below:
Once it is successfully extracted, you can see the manifest.xml file.
Then you can modify the file using Notepad or Notepad++ (any editor you can use). Once the modification over we can run the below command to create the .stp file again.
Here I have kept the manifest.xml file in the d drive and running the below command.
makecab.exe manifest.xml WorkflowMailTemplates.stp
You may like the following tutorials:
- SharePoint list templates
- Get SharePoint Online Site and List Templates using PowerShell
- The list is too large to save as a template. The size of a template cannot exceed 10485760 bytes in SharePoint
- Save site as template in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- Get sharepoint site template PowerShell + (SharePoint Object Model)
- Export a SharePoint list to excel
In this tutorial, we learned how to extract and make stp file in SharePoint Online.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com