The objective of this article is to walk you through the process to enable usage log report in SharePoint 2013. The same way also we can enable sharepoint 2016 usage reports.
Why we need it?
This is very important while providing audit reports and security team. SharePoint admin should be able to provide all the users information who are accessing the sites and when did they access all the information at any point of time. Without enabling usage report log option we couldn’t be able to generate any data.
Please follow the below steps to enable / configure usage report log in SharePoint 2013.
1. Log on to any WFE server as FARM administrator
2. Open SharePoint central admin with run as administrator
3. Click on Monitoring
4. click on Configure usage and health data collection
Monitoring -> Reporting -> Configure usage and health data collection
5. Select the check box “Enable usage data collection” under Usage Data Collection
6. Select all the required check boxes as part of Events to log as per the business need
7. In this page we also mention the path for log file default path is:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\LOGS\
8. Enable “Health Data Collection” if you wasn’t to see any health reports
9. This health and usage log reports will be logged by default to a DB in the same DB sever
10. With the below query we can get the some usage report
select top 1000 ServerUrl, UserLogin, LogTime, RowCreatedTime
and LogTime >= ‘2016-09-09’
order by LogTime desc
Hope this helps, happy administration in SharePoint 2013.
I am Krishna.Vandanapu a SharePoint architect working in IT from last 13+ years, I worked in SharePoint 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Office 365. I have extensive hands on experience in customizing SharePoint sites from end to end. Expertise in SharePoint migration tools like Sharegate, Doc Ave and Metalogix. Migrated SharePoint sites from SharePoint 2007 to 2010 and 2010 to 2013 several times seamlessly. Implementing CSOM with Microsoft best practices. Spent quality time in configuring SharePoint application services like User Profile, Search, Managed Meta data services etc. Now exploring SharePoint Framework and SharePoint 2019
Your FREESharePoint Online Ebook is on its way to your Email Inbox. **************** You will get notification on FREE SharePoint online training, SharePoint webinars, Video Tutorial & also latest FREE PDF tutorials