This SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss how to enable document information panel in ms word in SharePoint 2013. Document information panel allows users to enter metadata for Microsoft based documents that are stored in SharePoint. By default, the Document information panel is not visible by default.
Document information panel in SharePoint
A document information panel is a form that is displayed within the client application, and which contains fields for the document metadata. Document information panels enable users to enter important metadata about a file anytime they want, without having to leave the client application.
For files stored in document libraries, the document information is actually the columns of the content type assigned to that file. The document information panel displays a field for each content type property, or column, the user can edit.
Enable document information panel in SharePoint
Open your SharePoint 2013 site and then navigate to the document library where you want “Document Information Panel” to be enabled. Go to the Library Settings from the Ribbon.
From the Settings page, go to the Content Types section and click on the “Document” content type as shown in the fig below:
This will open the List Content Type page, there click on “Document Information Panel settings” page as shown in the fig below:
This will open the Document Information Panel Settings page, check the checkbox “Always show Document Information Panel on document open and initial save for this content type” in the Show Always section. Then click on OK.
Now when you open any document in the document library, then you will be able to see Document properties where you can enter metadata as shown in the fig below:
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Disable document edit properties based on user permission in SharePoint document library
- Create OneNote Document Library in SharePoint 2013 Online
- How to give unique permissions to list or document library in SharePoint
- All Apps Templates are not visible while Adding an App in SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint access request approval failed
- Dictionary actions example in SharePoint Designer 2013
- Set different permissions on SharePoint 2013 list views
- Cannot complete this action error in SharePoint 2013
- Customize SharePoint 2013 list form using SharePoint designer 2013
- Hide About Me link from Welcome Menu Control in SharePoint
Here we learned document information panel in SharePoint and how to enable document information panel in SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint Online.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.