How to create web application SharePoint 2016?
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
Here we will discuss what are web applications in SharePoint? How we can create a web application in SharePoint 2016? The steps are also same for creating a web application in SharePoint 2013. If you are new to SharePoint 2016, check our SharePoint 2016 new and removed features and also read the step by step tutorial on SharePoint 2016 installation.
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
A SharePoint web application is a collection of one or more IIS websites configured to map incoming HTTP requests to a set of SharePoint sites. A SharePoint 2016/2013 web application is composed of an Internet Information Services (IIS) web site that acts as a logical unit for the site collections that you create. The web application also maps each SharePoint site to one or more specific content databases. SharePoint Foundation uses content databases to store site content such as list items, documents, and customization information.
When you create a web application in SharePoint Foundation, it creates an IIS website with a root folder containing a web.config file at the following location:
– We can create a web application by using SharePoint central administration website or we can also create web application using PowerShell. In large enterprise they usually use PowerShell to create web application.
– The user must be a member of Farm Administrators SharePoint group to create a web application. To verify open SharePoint 2016 central administration web site. Then click on “Manage the farm administrators group” which is under Security section.
Now to create a web application, from the SharePoint 2016 Central Administration home page click on “Manage web applications” link which is under “Application Management”.
Then from the Ribbon click on New Web Application to create a new web application.
In the Create New Web Application Dialog box, fill up below things to create a new web application.
IIS Web Site:
– Select option “Create a new IIS Web site.
– Give a name, by default it will take SharePoint – [Random Port number] like SharePoint – 27214
– Port Number
– Leave it Blank for Host Header
– Path: This is the path of the virtual directory of the web application. By default it will take like below:
C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\[Port Number] Ex: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\27214
– Select No for Allow Anonymous
– Select No for Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
Claims Authentication Types:
Choose Enable Windows Authentication and Integrated Windows authentication [NTML]
Sign In Page URL:
In the Sign in Page URL, choose Default Sign In Page.
Give a public url for the web application, by default it will come as http://ServerName:Port
Choose Create new application pool.
By default it will create an application pool same name as your web application.
Provide Security Account for application pool.
Database Name and Authentication:
Give the Database Server name
And Database Name
Choose Windows Authentication
Service Application Connections:
Select the service applications you want to activate
Customer Experience Improvement Program:
Then click on OK to create the web application. It will take some time to create the web application. Once created successfully, it will display message. Once the web application is ready we can create our site collection.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)