This Azure tutorial, we will discuss what is Azure SQL database? how to create SQL database in the Microsoft Azure portal.
What is Azure SQL Database?
Microsoft Azure SQL Database (formerly SQL Azure, SQL Server Data Services, SQL Services, and Windows Azure SQL Database) is a cloud-based service from Microsoft offering data-storage capabilities. The aim is for users to just communicate with a T-SQL endpoint rather than managing database storage, files, and high availability.
In this regard, it is a similar offering to Amazon Relational Database Service. Early versions operated as key-value pair tables accessed via a REST-based API and offering only a subset of the data types offered by the Microsoft SQL Server on-premises product. Using these versions was not similar to using the SQL Server database engine and led to relatively low adoption rates.
Create a SQL database using Azure Portal
It’s about a Single database, We will see about how to create DB in the Azure portal.
Create a SQL Database logical server to host SQL databases
Create a SQL database with no data, with sample data or with data from a SQL database backup.
Create a server-level firewall rule for a single IP address or for a range of IP addresses.
We are creating with our Azure subscription, if you don’t have an Azure subscription, you can create a free account in just a couple of minutes.
Login to the Azure portal site using your subscription id and password
Once login you will be on the Portal page of Azure.
Use the following steps in the Azure portal to create an Azure SQL Database server.
If not currently connected, connect to the Azure portal.
Click New, Select Data+Storage Option on the Azure portal page.
Select SQL database after clicking on Data+Storage Option.
Once you will click on SQL database, Information wizard will come to provide the values for the following server properties:
- Database name
- Subscription (only if you have multiple subscriptions)
- Resource group (if just getting started, use the resource group of the logical server)
- Select source (you can choose a blank database, sample data or a database backup)
- Server (a new or existing logical server)
- Server admin password
- Pricing tier (if just getting started, use the default value S0)
- Collation (only if blank database was chosen)
Click Create after entering all required field, it will start deployment that we can on the portal page
Click Create and in the notification area, you can see that deployment has started.
Wait for deployment to finish before continuing to the next step.
We can monitor using the portal as well, just go back to the Portal page and see this in blade.
Wait for some time till a success message is will show on the notification page, once done click on the created SQL database.
You may like following Azure tutorials:
- How to get Azure AD app-only access token and using Microsoft graph Api to interact with Azure Active Directory
- Learn azure artificial intelligence
- Azure Cognitive Services
- Distribute user requests Azure Web site instances in Microsoft Azure
- Create Azure WebJobs for SharePoint Online and Deploy to Microsoft Azure
- Create Azure Web App and Download Publish Profile from Azure Portal
- Design Windows Azure Application with Azure Table partitioning approach
- Working with Azure Blob Storage with PowerShell
- Create an Azure App and Deploy to SharePoint Online as an App Step by Step
- Microsoft Azure Content Delivery Network (CDN)
- How to create SQL Database in Microsoft Windows Azure Portal?
- Deploy SQL Server 2016 on the Azure Portal Using Windows server 2012
- Create a web app in Microsoft Azure step by step tutorial
- Connect to Azure SQL database from management studio
- Create windows virtual machine on Azure step by step tutorial
- How to create a Microsoft Azure Active Directory?
- How to create a Linux virtual machine in Windows Azure Portal?
This Azure tutorial, we learned what is Azure SQL database? how to create SQL database in the Microsoft Azure portal.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.