Here we will discuss how to create and configure metadata navigation and filtering in sharepoint 2013, SharePoint 2016 or SharePoint Online list and libraries.
What Is Metadata Navigation and Filtering?
– Metadata filtering helps to filters the item / documents in sharepoint large list and document libraries.
– Filter sharepoint list and libraries items based on metadata available in the sharepoint list and also filter based on columns in the list.
– Navigation terms in sharepoint server 2013
– Image rendition in sharepoint server 2013
– Create Configure and Use SQL Server Database using Microsoft Azure
Steps to configure Managed metadata navigation and filtering
– Already am created a sample sharepoint list named “Products”
– Created some common metadata into it
create and configure metadata navigation and filtering SharePoint Online
Let’s go and implement the feature
Navigate to Site Settings -> Manage site features -> Click Activate “Metadata navigation and filtering”
Let’s Go back to your product list and add some products with metadata we created.
Now let’s enable metadata navigation and filtering for the list
Go to List -> List Settings ->General Settings ->Click Metadata navigation settings
Configure Navigation Hierarchy
– Here the added fields will be appeared in the tree view for filtering items in the sharepoint list and libraries.
– Some of the fields are only available in navigation hierarchies Content Type, Managed Metadata Field, Choice Field. Rest of other fields are not supported for navigation hierarchy.
Content Type –> May be the Item or folder
Folder -> It will help to display the folders in the tree view for filtering the items somewhere in the particular folder content type.
Make/Model -> Choice field. If you not needed to filter valued based on these criteria don’t add this, in this scenario am used this piece of metadata.
Price-> Same as Make/Model scenario.
Configure Key Filters:
– It will help you to display only the matching values in the list and libraries you given in the box.
This Type will support
– Person or group field (Created By, Modified By)
– Number (Quantity) for my metadata, these field may vary from your requirement
– Managed Metadata Field
– Date/Time Field (Created, Modified)
– Content Type (Item and Folder)
In this scenario, I used some of the fields for my reference
Configure automatic column indexing for this list.
It will come default by automatically indexed the metadata we created in the sharepoint list and libraries. This is one of the best way for handling metadata and much preferred way.
You can also see another option “Do not automatically indices column from this list” you will be indexing the list column manually.
Am go by Default “Automatically Manage column indices in this list”.
You are also able to see the indexed columns by clicking on the link.
Click ok and complete the setup
Let’s see the cool OOTB feature how it works.
Now am going to filter with product “Apple”
Oops the filter applied
Let’s See the key filter
Just put Quantity equals “1”
Now let me check Quantity equals “2”
So, no items Found
Also, you can apply Key filter based on “Person or Group Field” value
This awesome and cool OOTB Feature will help to satisfy our client and customer needs without writing code and achieve with in a couple of minutes. This feature will be simply used for beginning sharepoint developers and many of the experience developers also don’t know about this feature some time it happens when we didn’t use sharepoint features in a right way.
Thanks & Regards
Vinod N (Senior Sharepoint Developer)