How to configure metadata navigation for a document library in SharePoint Online?
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
This SharePoint tutorial explains, how to configure metadata navigation for document libraries in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013/2016.
Metadata navigation filtering mechanism helps users to dynamically filter contents from lists or document libraries based on metadata in SharePoint Online/2013/2016.
What is the MetaData in SharePoint
Metadata is data about data meaning metadata describes additional information about an item, file or document. Like Metadata for a file can be author name, document type, document size, etc. If you want to associate metadata to a document, first you need to add a column to the document library. By default, SharePoint provides a few metadata columns.
SharePoint introduced metadata to overcome problems with the folder structure inside a document library.
Few problems with folder structure inside the SharePoint document library are:
- Very difficult to get information from the nested folder structure.
- If you have more nested folders then you may face URL length limitation problem, because URL length is limited to ~260 characters.
- You can not sort or filter from SharePoint document library headers. Like this, there are lots of disadvantages.
Configure metadata navigation for a list or library SharePoint Online
For this particular example, I have a custom document library inside my SharePoint online site where I have added one more column of choice type name as “Course” which has values like:- Administration- Developer- End User- Interview Questions And I have uploaded few documents to the document library.
Overall the document library looks like below:
To work with metadata navigation first we need to activate the “Metadata Navigation and Filtering” feature. So click on the Gear icon and then click on “Site Settings” which will open the Site Settings page. Then click on the “Managed site features” link which is presented in the “Site Actions” category.
Then in the “Site Features” features page search for “Metadata Navigation and Filtering” feature and click on Activate like below:
Then go back to the document library and click on “Library Settings” from the Ribbon. In the List Settings page, click on “Metadata navigation settings” which is under General Settings.
Then in the “Metadata Navigation Settings” page go to “Configure Key Filters” section and there you can see the available columns in the “Available Key Filter Fields” section and here I have added the Status column to appear in the filter list like below:
Now if you will go back to the document library you can see a Key Filters section must be appearing in the left navigation like below.
You can choose a course and click on Apply and then it will show only the documents which match the filter criteria.
Configure Navigation Hierarchies: Metadata navigation is really helpful to find content in large lists or libraries.
You can also Configure navigation hierarchies from the Metadata Navigation Settings page. Visit the Metadata Navigation Settings page and then from the “Configure Navigation Hierarchies” section select the column which you want to appear in the hierarchy like below. Here I have added the Course custom column which we have created for the document library.
Then click on OK to save the changes and if you will open the document library, you can see like below:
You may like following SharePoint document library tutorials:
- Disable document edit properties based on user permission in SharePoint document library
- Create Folder and Subfolder in SharePoint Document Library using PnP Core CSOM Library
- Sync SharePoint Online Document Library with OneDrive and Work with Files Offline
- SharePoint 2016 crud operations using Rest API and jQuery on list or document library
- Migrate files with a folder structure to SharePoint 2013 document library using PowerShell
- Download files from SharePoint document library using PowerShell
- Upload documents from network drive to SharePoint 2013/2016 Server document library using PowerShell
- The document library view cannot be displayed for this web site error in SharePoint Designer 2013
- Create a folder in the SharePoint document library using CSOM
- Content Approval in SharePoint 2013 document library
- Working with Enterprise Metadata and Keywords Settings for List and Document library in SharePoint Online
- Different between SharePoint list and Document library
- Content Approval in SharePoint 2013 list or document library
This tutorial, we learned how to configure metadata navigation for a list or library in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013/2016.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.