This SharePoint 2013 tutorial explains how to configure incoming and outgoing emails in SharePoint server 2013/2016. Here I would like to walk you through the process to configure SMTP in SharePoint 2013. In any SharePoint environment, we need to configure SMTP to send/receive emails.
Note: We need to add SharePoint site as a trusted server in the mail server and should add to the proxy. Without this, we can’t send/receive emails in SharePoint even after you configure the SMTP on the Application server.
Step 1: Log-on to the Application server as a FARM administrator account
Step 2: Ensuring the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) service is installed on the server
Step 3: Start -> Server Manager
Step 4: click on “Add Roles and Features”
Step 5: Click on “Server Selection” and click next
Step 6: Click on Features and ensure that “SMTP server (installed)” is checked
Step 7: If it’s not installed please check the checkbox and complete the installation by clicking on the install button
Step 8: Now that the SMTP server installed we have to start SMTP service as part of “services.msc”
Step 9: once the service is started, we should configure the SMTP server details.
Start -> Administrative Tools -> Double click on “Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 Manager”
Step 10: You should be able to play icon grayed out which means the SMTP server is started.
Step 11: Right-click on SMTP Virtual Server and select properties and go on to the connection under “Access” Tab.
Step 12: Ensure that “Only the list below” radio button is selected and click on “Add” button to add button enter “127.0.0.1” (this is static and IP-Address of local computer) and click OK.
Step 13: Click on Relay button and ensure that “Only the list below” radio button is selected and click on “Add” button to add button enter “127.0.0.1” (this is static and IP-Address of local computer) and click OK
Step 14: Click on “messages” Tab and add “Non-Delivery” email-id
Step 15: Click on “Delivery” tab and click on the “Outbound Security” button and ensure that “TLS Encryption”.
Step 16: Click on “Advanced” and add “Fully-qualified domain name”, “smart host values” and click on OK.
IT team should be able to provide you with the above 2 values
Step 17: Once you complete all the 16 steps close all the windows and restart SMTP services in “Services.msc”
Quickly testing SMTP Email server:
1. Go to “Badmail directory path” (you can see this path as part of Step 14 screenshot)
2. Create a notepad and paste the below text and save it as “testing SMTP.txt”
Note: From email-id must be an Approved ID as part of Active Directory email list.
3. Copy this txt file in Queue folder “D:\Sites\Default\mailroot\Pickup” (please change it as per your configuration)
4. SMTP will pick this txt and sends the email to the desired recipients.
You may like below SharePoint 2013 tutorials:
- Configure SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) in SQL Server 2012 Step by step guide
- Configure Active Directory Domain Services in Windows Server 2012
- Configure the Secure Store Service in SharePoint 2013
- Easily Configure Email Notifications using Infowise Ultimate Forms action
- Configure DNS in Windows Server 2012 step by step tutorial
- Configure Excel Service Application in SharePoint 2013
- Configure and Consume Managed Metadata Service Application in SharePoint 2013
- The SSRS service application proxy is not configured. Use the SSRS service application pages to configure the proxy
- Configure Forward and Reverse Lookup Zones in DNS
Hope this SharePoint tutorial explains how to configure incoming and outgoing emails in SharePoint server 2013/2016
I am Krishna.Vandanapu a SharePoint architect working in IT from last 13+ years, I worked in SharePoint 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Office 365. I have extensive hands on experience in customizing SharePoint sites from end to end. Expertise in SharePoint migration tools like Sharegate, Doc Ave and Metalogix. Migrated SharePoint sites from SharePoint 2007 to 2010 and 2010 to 2013 several times seamlessly. Implementing CSOM with Microsoft best practices. Spent quality time in configuring SharePoint application services like User Profile, Search, Managed Meta data services etc. Now exploring SharePoint Framework and SharePoint 2019
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.