The scope of this article is to give detailed guidelines to understand and disable sync button at SharePoint Online Site, OneDrive for Business, and document libraries level.
We will see here in SharePoint Online modern site and if you are still using classic SharePoint experience, read about How to move from classic to modern experience in SharePoint online list or document library?
Note: If the sync needs to disable on every subsite, then the below setting needs to be done on every subsite.
Offline client availability setting can be disabled at the site level as well as the library level. However, if the setting is done at the site level, then there is no need to do the same setting on the document library level again.
Let us see how to disable sync button sharepoint online.
- Log in to office 365 using the user who is the owner or site collection administrator or site collection.
- Currently, we can view the sync button available for a document library.
3. Click on site action and then click on ‘site information’.
4. Now click on ‘view all site settings’.
5. Then click on ‘Search and offline availability’ under the search section.
6. This will take you to the below page, where you need to check the ‘NO’ button under offline client availability and then ‘OK’.
7. After making the Offline client availability to NO, the Sync button is no longer available.
- Even though the sync button is unavailable user will be able to download the files.
- Also, the files will be searchable.
- The sync button in Classic SharePoint view will be also being greyed out.
Let us see how to disable sync button sharepoint online document library.
For example, if there are 10 document libraries on site and out of 10, the site owner wants to disable sync button on 5 libraries, then the owner must make sure that site level Offline client availability setting is ON and the owner must make the settings at library level using below steps:
- Click on site action and then Library Settings.
- Click on Advanced settings.
- Allow items from this document library to be downloaded to offline clients? Set to No.
I hope, the above information is useful for you guys.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- User profile synchronization service stuck on starting sharepoint 2013
- Steps to Disable Sync button in SharePoint 2013
- Publishing and Synchronizing Excel tables to SharePoint 2013/2016/Online Lists using Excel Add-in
- Retrieve and Display TASK status using REST API in SharePoint
Additional search tags: disable sync button sharepoint online, sharepoint online hide sync button, sharepoint online disable sync library, sharepoint online hide sync button document library, disable sync sharepoint online, Remove sync button sharepoint online, Hide sync button SharePoint Online document library, Hide sync button SharePoint online, Hide Sync button SharePoint
This is Anup Bhavsar currently working as an Consultant for Atos Global IT Solutions and Services Private Limited. I am passionate about Microsoft technologies like Office 365,SharePoint Online, SharePoint Servers, Azure and love to contribute to the Office 365, Azure community.