In SharePoint 2013 / SharePoint 2016 as soon as you create a site collection you will see an option to edit links in both top navigation and quick launch as shown in below screen shot.
The issue with this link is any contributor can edit the links as part of top navigation and quick launch. This will create inconsistency in navigation and difficulty in navigation.
This we can address in various ways 2 of the easiest ways are:
– Add CSS class in CEW to hide the edit link option in all the user navigation pages
– Incorporate CSS class in master page
Let us walk through both the scenarios.
Option-1: Add CSS in CEW (Content Editor WebPart)
In SharePoint we can change the UI / hide options using CSS, follow the below steps to achieve the same:
1. Edit page and add content editor webpart
2. Add the below CSS in content editor webpart
3. The output will be as below
Option-2: Incorporate CSS class in master page
As we all know when we make some change in master it will get applied to all the pages automatically. Follow the below steps to incorporate CSS class in master page.
1. Open site using SharePoint designer
2. Copy and paste the “seattle.master” and rename it as “seattle_New.master”
3. Edit the master page in advanced made as shown below
4. Add the CSS style in home tag
5. Apply the updated master page as default master page
6. Output will be as follows
Hope this helps !!!
Download FREE SharePoint 2019 Installation PDF Guide
This FREE PDF contains, Steps by step guide to install SharePoint 2019 Preview, prerequisites, hardware and software new features. First impression to SharePoint Server 2019 new modern site, modern lists and modern document libraries.
You May Also like the Following SharePoint Online Tutorials:
About Krishna Vandanapu
I am Krishna.Vandanapu a SharePoint architect working in IT from last 12 years, I worked in SharePoint 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Office 365. I have extensive hands on experience in customizing SharePoint sites from end to end. Expertise in SharePoint migration tools like Sharegate, Doc Ave and Metalogix. Migrated SharePoint sites from SharePoint 2007 to 2010 and 2010 to 2013 several times seamlessly. Implementing CSOM with Microsoft best practices. Spent quality time in configuring SharePoint application services like User Profile, Search, Managed Meta data services etc. Now exploring SharePoint Framework and SharePoint 2019
Your FREESharePoint Online Ebook is on its way to your Email Inbox. **************** You will get notification on FREE SharePoint online training, SharePoint webinars, Video Tutorial & also latest FREE PDF tutorials