In this SharePoint 2013 customization tutorial, we will discuss how to hide “EDIT LINKS” options in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online site. We will see how can we hide EDIT LINKS using CSS in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online.
In SharePoint 2013 / SharePoint 2016 as soon as you create a site collection you will see an option to edit links in both top navigation and quick launch as shown in below screenshot.
The issue with this link is any contributor can edit the links as part of top navigation and quick launch. This will create inconsistency in navigation and difficulty in navigation.
This we can address in various ways 2 of the easiest ways are:
- Add CSS class in CEW to hide the edit link option in all the user navigation pages
- Incorporate CSS class in the master page
Let us walk through both the scenarios.
Hide EDIT LINKS using CSS in CEW (Content Editor WebPart)
In SharePoint 2013, we can change the UI / hide options using CSS, follow the below steps to achieve the same:
1. Edit page and add a content editor web part in SharePoint.
2. Add the below CSS in content editor web part or script editor web part.
3. The output will be as below
Hide EDIT LINKS using Incorporate CSS class in the master page in SharePoint 2013
As we all know when we make some change in master it will get applied to all the pages automatically. Follow the below steps to incorporate CSS class in the master page in SharePoint 2013.
1. Open site using SharePoint designer 2013.
2. Copy and paste the “seattle.master” and rename it as “seattle_New.master”
3. Edit the master page in advanced mode as shown below.
4. Add the CSS style in home tag
5. Apply the updated master page as default master page into the SharePoint 2013 site.
You may like following SharePoint master page tutorials:
- Create custom master page using Design Manager in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- SharePoint Online Step by Step Tutorial on how to create a new custom master page by using existing master page
- Set master page for a particular page in SharePoint 2016 or SharePoint Online
- Hide master page elements in dialogs in SharePoint 2013
- How to change Master Page in SharePoint 2016, SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint Online?
- SharePoint Designer Workflow Declare item as record
Hope this helps you to hide EDIT LINKS in SharePoint 2013 site using css.
I am Krishna.Vandanapu a SharePoint architect working in IT from last 13+ years, I worked in SharePoint 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Office 365. I have extensive hands on experience in customizing SharePoint sites from end to end. Expertise in SharePoint migration tools like Sharegate, Doc Ave and Metalogix. Migrated SharePoint sites from SharePoint 2007 to 2010 and 2010 to 2013 several times seamlessly. Implementing CSOM with Microsoft best practices. Spent quality time in configuring SharePoint application services like User Profile, Search, Managed Meta data services etc. Now exploring SharePoint Framework and SharePoint 2019
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.