This SharePoint tutorial explains, how to give unique permission to list or document library in SharePoint Server 2013/2016 or SharePoint Online.
By default when you create a list or document library it will inherit permission from the parent site, but if you want to give unique permission, then it can be possible without using any code.
There are two things we need to do, first, we need to break the inherited permission and then we need to grant new permission.
Unique permissions to list or document library in SharePoint
Open your site in a browser, then open the particular SharePoint list or library for which you want to give unique permission.
Then go to list settings from the Ribbon. This will open the List Settings page. On this page click on Permission for this list under the Permissions and Management section.
Then from the Ribbon click on Stop Inheriting Permissions from the PERMISSIONS tab as shown in the fig below:
Then it will ask a confirmation dialog box asking you are about to create permission for this document library, click on OK as shown in the fig below:
Now from the Ribbon click on Grant Permissions as shown in the fig below:
This will open a dialog box, Enter the Name or email address, optional description. Then click on SHOW OPTIONS, And there choose whether you want to send an email or now and most importantly from the drop-down list (Select a permission level) choose the permission which you want to assign to the user. See the fig below.
Disable unique permission in SharePoint
Now suppose you want to revert back that is if you want to delete the unique permissions for the SharePoint list, then from the Ribbon Click on “Delete Unique Permissions” as shown in the fig below:
This will ask a confirmation message saying “you are about to inherit permission from the parent….”. Click on OK.
Now it’s done, you list now inherit permission from the parent site.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Hide SharePoint list columns based on user permissions
- How to Set Permissions in SharePoint Online/2013/2016 Site
- Remove-SPOSite Access denied You do not have permission to perform this action or access this resource
- Export user permission in SharePoint using PowerShell
- Workflow App Identifier in SharePoint Online App Permissions
- Get user permissions for a site using CSOM in SharePoint Online
- Hide link left navigation in SharePoint 2013 on permissions basis using JQuery
- Site permissions not working after migrating from moss 2007 to sharepoint 2013
- SharePoint 2013: Check user permission using Rest API
- Show hide div based on user permission using SPServices in SharePoint 2013
- Set different permissions on SharePoint 2013 list views
- How to enable item level permission in SharePoint list or document library
This SharePoint tutorial, we learned how to give unique permissions to list or document library in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online.
Bhawana Rathore is a Microsoft MVP (3 times in Office Apps & Services) and a passionate SharePoint Consultant, having around 10 years of IT experience in the industry, as well as in .Net technologies. She likes to share her technical expertise in EnjoySharePoint.com and SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.