In this post, we will discuss what is GAC in.Net. Also, you can check out my previous post on ExecuteNonQuery(), ExecuteReader() and ExecuteScalar() in Ado.Net, Anonymous Types in C#.Net and WCF interview questions and answers in C#.Net.
– GAC stands for Global Assembly Cache.
– GAC can be termed as a registry of.Net framework for maintaining shared assemblies. This comes with.Net installation.
– Location of GAC is C:\Windows\assembly
– The GAC folder is accessible with security options-
1. The folder will only accept strong name assemblies.
2. The folder is accessible to the user with administrative privileges for placing assembly or removing the assembly.
– You can place an assembly into GAC in two ways:
1. Drag and Drop: Through explorer view, you can drag and drop the assembly to the GAC.
2. GACUtil.exe: You can put assembly to GAC using the command line utility GACUtil.exe
Gacutil -i “Path of the assembly”
It will put the dll into GAC.
– To remove an assembly from GAC you can use the same GACUtil utility as below:
Gacutil -u AssemblyName
The above command will remove the assembly from GAC.
– Windows registry will maintain the location of COM components whereas GAC will contain assembly.
– Windows registry cannot contain multiple versions of COM component whereas GAC can contain multiple versions of an assembly.
-: FREE PDF e-Book Download :-
51 JSOM Examples in SharePoint Online
You May Also like the Following SharePoint Online Tutorials: