This SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss how to extra dll from GAC (Global Assembly Cache) or how to copy dlls from GAC. Also, we will see how to install and uninstall DLL into GAC (Global Assembly Cache).
The dlls are presented inside GAC which is at c:\windows\assembly path. If you will go to this location, you will not be able to copy any dll from there. Microsoft does not provide an option to copy from there.
Copy a dll from GAC (Global Assembly Cache) Folder
Follow the below steps to copy a dll from GAC (Global Assembly Cache).
Open Run prompt (Type Window +R). Then in the run prompt put “%windir%\assembly\GAC_MSIL” in it and hit enter key.
There you will be able to see lots of folders each one with a name ~same as the dll name. Search for your dll name, click on the folder then inside there will be another subfolder, click on the sub-folder and there you will be able to see your dll.
From here you will be able to copy the dll from GAC.
Install or Uninstall DLL into Global Assembly Cache (GAC)
Now, we will see how to install and uninstall assembly to GAC (Global Assembly Cache) using Gacutil tool which will be presented on the below directory.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1A\bin\NETFX 4.5.1 Tools
From the command prompt, you can go to the path or you can also see the path like below:
Open PowerShell management shell, type Set-Alias.
Then for Name put “Gacutil” And for Value put “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v8.1A\bin\NETFX 4.5.1 Tools\gacutil.exe”
Then to Install a dll put the below command:
gacutil /i MyCustomDll.v.1.dll /f
And to uninstall dll from GAC put below command:
gacutil /u MyCustomDll.v.1.dll /f
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Create dll file for class using Visual Studio 2010 in SharePoint 2010
- Microsoft.sharepoint.dll and SharePoint 2013 client dll location
- SharePoint Online console application with csom
- Debugging PowerShell Script with Visual Studio Code
- Recycle IIS Application pool: The local SharePoint server is not available
- How to debug custom web part and timer job in SharePoint 2013 using Visual Studio
- SharePoint 2010 project templates missing in Visual Studio 2010
- The field of type taxonomyfieldtype cannot be used in the query filter expression in SharePoint Online visual studio workflow
- SharePoint Workflow Initiation Form template missing in Visual Studio
- SharePoint online visual studio 2015 workflow variable not available in various scopes
This tutorial, we learned how to extract dll from the assembly (GAC) folder and Install Uninstall DLL into Global Assembly Cache (GAC) in SharePoint.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.