No one in this technological era could deny the importance of emails. As we have advanced in our challenging careers and more responsibilities have been assigned to us we definitely want an easy and effective way to manage our mails. It is a feature which is common in all the email clients whether it is Lotus Notes or MS Outlook. MS Outlook has become the choice of a larger section of the mass. There are many factors contributing to the change in their choices. But before proceeding to them let us just have a quick look on Lotus Notes NSF and MS Outlook. Some extra knowledge would not do any harm.
Also, check out:
– Backup of the Site collection in SharePoint 2010
Lotus Notes and MS Outlook – In A Glimpse:
Emailing is one of the many services that can be employed through IBM Notes messaging application, and not the only one. The database files of IBM Notes are stored in NSF (Notes Storage Facility) format. The data in it is stored in documents termed as “Notes”, hence named, Notes Storage Format.
MS Outlook is an email client which comes as a part of the Microsoft Office suite. PST or Personal Storage Table is the file format used by MS Outlook to store copies of messages and other personal management data including; contacts, calendar, notes, etc.
Factors Contributing To Export Mail from Lotus Notes to Outlook 2010:
The corporate world is surrounded by applications that help it connect better with the world. Be it a basic application or hi-tech software, the main motive is to ensure user convenience along with efficient utilization of the services. Same is the case with email clients. A majority of users are shifting their interest from Lotus Notes to MS Outlook. The factors that are contributing to this shift in interests are:
– Convenience: Talking of convenience with respect to email clients a user usually needs a simple user interface and a bundle of features. MS Outlook comes with a simple and user-friendly interface. There is no need of any technical expertise to work with Outlook, unlike Lotus Notes which has a lengthier and more complex procedure of doing things.
– Economic Factor: Since MS Outlook comes as a part of the Microsoft Office suite it proves to be more economical than Lotus Notes. Lotus Notes is a collaboration platform of which emailing is just a part. Therefore investing in it just for the sake of emailing is not a wise choice. Therefore for emailing purpose Outlook is more preferable as it can be availed in a separately too.
– Time-saving: Lotus Notes does not come with the feature of signing in with different accounts at the same place. One needs to separately log in for each account in Lotus Notes. In contrast, Outlook allows you to work on multiple account data and provides a combined sign in the window for multiple users accounts listed in the same drop down.
Techniques to Export Mail from Lotus Notes to Outlook 2010:
We can manually export some items from Lotus Notes to MS Outlook 2010. For this we will need to perform two steps:
– Export Lotus Notes contacts into a “Tabular Text” or “Structured Text” file
– Import the exported files into Outlook
The manual procedure is only meant for the export of Notes contacts to Outlook. As the “Tabular Text” or “Structured Text” files won’t support email content, only contact export can be executed. Outlook supports these formats thus contact conversion can be considered as doable manually.
The above suggested manual procedure is not only tedious but is also of no use when you have to export mail from Lotus Notes to Outlook 2010. Therefore it is suggested to use an alternative, i.e. a Third Party Tool. You can find a suitable solution in the name of Export Notes. This tool allows migrating Lotus Notes database to Outlook PST file and Live Exchange Server. For large scale migration, the software can be purchased in either the Technician or Enterprise License respectively.
-: FREE PDF e-Book Download :-
51 JSOM Examples in SharePoint Online
You May Also like the Following SharePoint Online Tutorials: