This SQL Server tutorial explains, how to enable remote connections for SQL Server, especially we will see how to enable remote connections in SQL server express 2008 R2.
Enable remote connections for SQL Server
Follow these steps to enable remote connections for SQL Server Express 2008 R2:
Open SQL Management Studio and right-click server name in the left panel and select Properties. ( See in fig)
Select Connections in the left panel and make sure that a check-box Allow remote connection to this server is selected. (See in fig)
Run SQL Server Configuration Manager. Go to SQL Server Network Configuration -> Protocols for SQLEXPRESS. Make sure TCP/IP is enabled. Now Right-click on TCP/IP and select Properties. Verify that, under IP2, the IP Address is set to the computer’s IP address on the local subnet. (See in fig)
Now Scroll down to IPAll. Make sure that TCP Dynamic Ports is blank. Make sure that TCP Port is set to 1433.( See in fig )
Now restart the SQL service. Open SQL Server Configuration Manager and click on “SQL Server Services” in the left panel, right-click SQL Server Browser service and select Properties. (See in fig )
For exceptions must be configured Windows Firewall to allow access to SQL Server
Go to Windows Firewall Advance Settings and create a new Inbound Rule Wizard. Select Port. Select TCP and specify port 1433. Allow the connection. Choose all three profiles. Give the name of the rule.
After this start the SQL service and open the SQL Server Manager Studio in that system where you want to connect remotely and enter the IP address of that system where you configure the remote connection,1433\instance name and click on Connect. (See in fig).
You may like following SQL Server tutorials:
- SQL Server stored procedure tutorial
- Difference between clustered and non clustered index SQL server
- Difference between primary key and unique key in SQL Server
- Difference between primary key and foreign key in SQL server
- Delete and create a new log file with minimum size in SQL Server
- Sequence in SQL server
- SQL Server joins tutorial
- SQL Server Functions Tutorial
- SQL DML and DDL commands
- How to Setting maximum memory in SQL server?
- Create Configure and Use SQL Server Database using Microsoft Azure
- How to create SQL Database in Microsoft Azure Portal
- Connect to Azure SQL database from management studio
This is how we can enable remote connections for SQL Server.
I am Navneet Singh, Working at C3it software solutions pvt. ltd. in Pune. My core skills are SharePoint 2013, Office 365, SharePoint 2010, SharePoint Designer, SharePoint Designer Workflow, Nintex Workflow, Infopath, Webpart, CSOM/SSOM, Power-shell, C#, ASP.NET and SQL Server.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.