This PowerShell SharePoint tutorial explains, how we can enable or disable list throttling using PowerShell in SharePoint 2013/2016 Microsoft has set a default threshold limit of 5000 items to SharePoint list, once you list increased beyond you will get a message like The number of items in this list exceeds the list view threshold.
There are many cases where you want to deal with a huge amount of data in the SharePoint list, whereas you need to bypass the threshold limit of a particular SharePoint list. So to override the default throttling settings. Just execute the below PowerShell to add list items more than the threshold limits.
To overcome the threshold issue the straight forward solution is to increase the threshold limit for the particular list.
If you are new to PowerShell, read an article on Working with PowerShell in SharePoint Online/2016/2013.
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
Below is the PowerShell command to disable the list throttling for a particular list in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell $web = Get-SPWeb http://SiteURL/ $web.AllowUnsafeUpdates = $True $list = $web.Lists[“YourListName”] $list.EnableThrottling = $false $list.Update() $web.AllowUnsafeUpdates = $False $web.Update() $web.Dispose()
Below is the PowerShell command to enable list throttling for a particular list in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell $web = Get-SPWeb http://SiteURL/ $web.AllowUnsafeUpdates = $True $list = $web.Lists[“YourListName”] $list.EnableThrottling = $true $list.Update() $web.AllowUnsafeUpdates = $False $web.Update() $web.Dispose()
Below is the PowerShell command which we can use to disable list throttling in SharePoint 2010.
Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell web = Get-SPWeb -Identity http://SiteURL $web.AllowUnsafeUpdates = $True $list = $web.Lists[“ListName”] $list.EnableThrottling = $False $list.Update() $web.AllowUnsafeUpdates = $False $web.Update() $web.Dispose()
Once you run the PowerShell command the SharePoint 2010 list threshold is disabled.
You may like following SharePoint PowerShell tutorials:
- PowerShell Script to deploy WSP Solution in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Create List and respective fields programmatically in SharePoint Online using PowerShell
- Create Promoted Links App in SharePoint 2013/2016 using PowerShell
- Get SharePoint list created date using PowerShell
- Change Master Page using PowerShell in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Delete all attachments from SharePoint list
- SharePoint copy files between document libraries using PowerShell with versioning
- Show Hide a SharePoint 2013 List using PowerShell
- Find larger files inside web application in SharePoint using PowerShell
- Add item to SharePoint list using PowerShell
- Content type Examples using CSOM in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- How to disable/enable alert for a list or library in SharePoint 2019/2016/2013
- The file is not digitally signed PowerShell script
Hope this will be helpful to enable or disable list throttling in SharePoint 2013 using PowerShell.
Bhawana Rathore is a Microsoft MVP (3 times in Office Apps & Services) and a passionate SharePoint Consultant, having around 10 years of IT experience in the industry, as well as in .Net technologies. She likes to share her technical expertise in EnjoySharePoint.com and SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.