This SharePoint administration tutorial explains, how to enable anonymous access in SharePoint 2013/2016. Sometimes companies want few sites to be available with anonymous access. People should access the sites without putting credentials.
In an anonymous site, users can access the site without putting any credentials in SharePoint 2013/2016.
Enable anonymous access SharePoint 2013/2016
You can follow the below steps to enable anonymous access in SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint 2016.
To implement anonymous access in SharePoint, we have to change in the web application level as well as in the SharePoint 2013/2016 site collection level.
Web Application Level Changes:
First, we have to change at the web application level. Open your SharePoint 2013/2016 central administration. Then click on Manage web applications under Application Management. This will open all your web application. Select your web application and then from Ribbon click on Authentication Providers as shown in the fig below:
This will open Authentication Providers dialog box, there click on Default as shown in the fig below:
This will open the Edit Authentication dialog box. There check the check box “Enable anonymous access” as shown in the fig below:
Now Open your SharePoint 2013 site and then go to Site Settings. Then in the Site Settings page Click on Site permissions under Users and Permissions.
Then from the Ribbon click on “Anonymous Access“. Then choose “Entire Web site” under Anonymous Access, then click on OK as shown in the fig below:
After this when users will able to access the site, then can access the site anonymously without giving any credentials.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Extending Web Applications in SharePoint 2013
- Delete Hidden Web Application in SharePoint 2013 using PowerShell
- How to retrieve all content database names for SharePoint 2016 web applications using the SharePoint server object model?
- Check Anonymous access for all web applications in SharePoint
- Get content database sizes for all web applications in a SharePoint farm using PowerShell
- Comparing a Web Application and Site Collection limits in SharePoint 2016 with SharePoint 2013 2010 2007
- SharePoint 2016 Create a web application and a Site collection using PowerShell
- Get all Sites and subsites under web application using PowerShell in SharePoint 2013
Hope this SharePoint tutorial helps to enable anonymous access in SharePoint 2013 and SharePoint 2016
Bhawana Rathore is a Microsoft MVP (3 times in Office Apps & Services) and a passionate SharePoint Consultant, having around 10 years of IT experience in the industry, as well as in .Net technologies. She likes to share her technical expertise in EnjoySharePoint.com and SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.