Document properties are clearing out when uploading a PowerPoint document to the SharePoint site. I was doing this in SharePoint 2010 site.
- We had a user who has an issue where he uploads a PowerPoint document with some predefined properties in place enforced by the client’s IT security team.
- These properties are nothing was just a categorization of the document in different ways. The issue was when the user checks out the document, edit the document and then check in back the document all the properties associated with the document were washed/vanished (you can call it whatever you want…).
- Hmm, Interesting. This only happens to the PowerPoint document, rest of all documents were opening fine without any issue.
- It seems to be a very heavy issue for me. At first instances, it was filling something to be wrong with PowerPoint document on the local desktop.
- We cleared all the properties of the document, uploaded on SharePoint check-out, edited it, check-in back but still, the problem is same.
- We tried the same steps with excel, word type documents, and its working fine.
- Replicated the issue on a different site by saving the list as a template without content and it was reproduced i.e. properties are getting clearing out again and again.
- Uploaded a test PowerPoint on the site and it was working fine.
- Uploading a new documents is working fine but the issue is occurring on the old documents.
- There was no clear point which could tell why this issue is occurring, however, the one thing which was very basic to check but ignored. The problem document was password protected. When removed and uploaded it was working fine. Properties were not clearing out.
- We tried the reverse on other documents i.e. protected the excel and word documents with the password and uploaded to SharePoint, uploading, checkout, editing, check-in back and it again brought the issue back.
- So it was clear that password protection was giving issue on the properties of the document clearing out.
- Now the question was why this is happening? Is because password protection use encryption and with the encrypted properties SharePoint doesn’t understand the properties values and make then blank.
You have to choose the properties again by editing the document properties to again categories them.
You can educate user of your company by spreading this work in the internal SharePoint forums by creating FAQ’s etc.
If you are not aware of how to enable and disable password protection on office documents, below is the link:
Applies to: MOSS 2007, SharePoint Server 2010, Office 2007, Office 2010
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- SharePoint web site keeps on prompting for an authentication error
- Build hyperlink inside email in SharePoint 2010 designer workflow
- SharePoint Cascading drop down list using SPServices and jQuery
- To start seeing previews please log on by opening the document in SharePoint Online search result Web part
- How to check the description of the Document Library in SharePoint
- How to configure metadata navigation for a document library in SharePoint Online?
- BeforeProperties and AfterProperties in Event Receiver in SharePoint
- How to Export SharePoint List Items to Word Document using Server Object Model
- SharePoint copy files between document libraries using PowerShell with versioning
- Search content from specific list or document library in SharePoint
- Enable document information in SharePoint 2013
- Configure Retention Policy in SharePoint Document Library
- SharePoint 2016 new features
- Change Column Order in List Forms (new/edit/display) in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online without using Code
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.