SharePoint document approval workflow example
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
This SharePoint workflow tutorial explains, what is a document approval workflow in SharePoint? How to create a simple document approval workflow in SharePoint 2013/2016 or SharePoint Online.
What is a SharePoint document approval workflow
By using workflows in SharePoint, we can automate your business process and make more consistent and efficient. SharePoint document approval workflow, allows you to route documents and other items stored in SharePoint to one or more people for their approval.
Create a document approval workflow in SharePoint
Now, we will see how to create a document approval workflow in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013/2016.
First, open the SharePoint site and create the custom document library using the Document Library template. Then Open the document library and from ribbon Click on Workflow Settings like below:
Then in the workflow settings page select Workflow association type as “Document” like below and click on Add a workflow.
Then Select approval workflow -> Provide the name of the workflow “Approval Status”.
Then create a new task list for this workflow like below:
Then Uncheck Allow this workflow to be manually started and check the box Create a new item will start this workflow.
Click Next and then provide the approvers for this workflow.
Provide the document request message.
Check “Automatically reject the document if it’s rejected by any user”: So it will reject the document if its reject by anyone of the users.
Check “Automatically reject the document if it changes before the workflow has been completed”: So the document has been rejected when the user has been deleted or changed.
Click Save. So now you can see the simple Approval Workflow has been created.
Now open Document library uploads the document. Now you see the Approval status has been InProgress.
Now login as approvers username and password to approve the tasks. Enter your comments and click approve or reject.
After approval of both from both users, you can now see the status of the document.
So the document has been approved successfully.
If you need to read the comments provided by the approver click on the approved status link.
You may like following SharePoint designer workflow tutorials:
- SharePoint designer workflow examples Create workflow using SharePoint designer 2013 video tutorial
- SharePoint Online Video: Deploy SharePoint Designer Workflow into Production
- Delete list item after specific duration using SharePoint designer workflow
- Change Item Level Permission using SharePoint designer workflow
- Set People Picker field to empty or blank in SharePoint designer workflow
- How to Trigger Sharepoint 2013 Designer workflow on a list item by calling REST API using jQuery?
- Nintex Workflow for office 365: Create a user in Office 365 and Add User to SharePoint Group
- Step by Step Nintex Workflow tutorial for Office 365 SharePoint Online
- SharePoint online Send email in visual studio 2015 workflow using Email Workflow Activity
Hope this SharePoint tutorial helps to know what is a document approval workflow in SharePoint? How to create a document approval workflow in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013/2016.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)