This SharePoint customization tutorial explains, how to disable quick edit in a sharepoint list. The same approach will work to disable quick edit in the sharepoint 2013/2016/Online list.
Disable quick edit in a sharepoint list
Quick Edit is a very good feature where you can edit all items in the view in a spreadsheet format in SharePoint. This is very much helpful in bulk editing. But sometime you may not need that feature. There is an easy way to remove quick edit from a SharePoint list (both on-premise or online).
There are two places where you can do the quick edit, first on is the link which is presented in + new item or edit this list. Here when you will click on edit this list.
The list will appear in the spreadsheet format and the user can do bulk editing and then save the changes user needs to click on Stop editing this list. The other place you will do quick bulk editing is by click on the “Quick Edit” option in the Ribbon under the LIST tab. Both places look below:
To remove this option, Go to the List Settings page. Then click on Advanced settings which is under General Settings.
Then in the Advanced Settings page, Go to the Quick Edit option and select No in “Allow items in this list to be edited using Quick Edit?” in Quick Edit as shown in the fig below:
Now if you go to the list, you will not be able to see the edit option and in the ribbon “Quick Edit” will appear in a disabled mode like below:
You may like following SharePoint list tutorials:
- Different ways to hide/disable quick edit in a list in SharePoint
- How to hide Notebook and Site contents from quick launch in SharePoint Online
- Left Navigation or Quick Launch Customization or Branding using CSS in SharePoint
- Make Title field read-only in SharePoint list edit form using JSLink
- Add Recycle Bin link in quick launch in SharePoint
- Hide Edit Links option in SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint 2013 Add Quick Launch or left navigation link in Site Using REST API
- SharePoint 2013 Left Navigation or Quick Launch Menu Customization
- Remove Notebook link from quick launch in SharePoint
- Hide quick launch in SharePoint Online
Here, we learned how to disable quick edit in a sharepoint list. The solution will work to disable quick edit in the list in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013/2016.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.