This SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss various navigation types and structure in SharePoint 2013/2016 or SharePoint Online.
Below are 3 types of navigation types and structures are there.
- Global and current navigation
- Structured navigation
- Managed Navigation
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
Global and current navigation have been described as inverted ‘L’ in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online.
SharePoint Global navigation look likes the below screen.
SharePoint Structure navigation automatically generates the link when the pages, list and libraries, and subsite have been created and also manually add links under navigation options.
Following images show structure navigation:
Navigate to site settings -> Under look and feel -> Click Navigation
Choose the structural navigation option for Global navigation and also check the show subsite it will help to display the child nodes under the parent node.
If you need structural navigation for current navigation also it’s your choice. Also, you can create navigation links manually by Click Add heading.
Click Ok. So now the link has been visible on a page.
Managed navigation it does not automatically create a navigation link like structured navigation. It allows the user to create site navigation term sets (metadata) using term store management tool under site navigation option.
Following images show Managed navigation:
Navigate to site settings -> Under look and feel -> Click Navigation. Choose the Managed navigation option for Global navigation.
Under managed navigation term set and Click create a term set.
Open the term store management tool for creating navigation term and term sets
So now the navigation has been work perfect. For UI and responsive visits, this article.
You may like following SharePoint navigation tutorials:
- Quick Launch Customization or Branding using CSS in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- Create managed metadata navigation in SharePoint 2013/2016
- SharePoint 2013 Add left navigation link in Site Using REST API
- SharePoint 2013 Add Top Navigation Link to a Site Using REST API
- Create and configure metadata navigation and filtering for list or library in SharePoint Online
- SharePoint 2013 Left Navigation or Quick Launch Menu Customization
- Create a responsive navigation menu using managed metadata navigation in SharePoint server 2013
- Create a simple bootstrap navigation menu using content search web part in SharePoint 2013
- How to configure metadata navigation for document libraries in SharePoint Online?
- SharePoint 2013 Steps to Create Top Navigation using XMLDataSource
- Add navigation link in site settings navigation page SharePoint 2013 using Visual Studio 2013
- Edit Links missing in left and top navigation in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- Hide link left navigation in SharePoint 2013 on permissions basis using JQuery
This SharePoint tutorial explains, what are different types of navigation in SharePoint Online/2013/2016.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.