Here we will discuss about What is the difference between a web application and web site in Asp.Net. Also you can check my previous posts on:
There is no hard and fast rule, wether you should go for Asp.Net web application and Asp.Net web site. But both have there advantages and disadvantages.
– Web Site project is compiled on the fly, so it compiles one or more dlls but web application complies the project into a single dll. So if case of web application even if you made a small change you need to compile the whole project.
– But both supports IIS and the built-in ASP.NET Development Server.
– In case of web site each page has it’s own assembly.
– If you really like single-page code model to code-behind model then you should go for web site.
– You can add an MVC application to a web application.
– If you want to migrate large Visual Studio .NET 2003 applications then web application is the option.
– If you want to add multiple web projects then Web application is the option.
– If we chose web application then .csproj (for C#.Net) file will create automatically.
– For deployment, in case of web site, we need to deploy the .aspx pages as well as the code behind pages. But in case of web application we need to deploy the .aspx pages and the compiled dll will contain the code behind stuffs.
– Initial startup time is faster incase of asp.net web application compared to asp.net web site.
Similar SharePoint 2013 Tutorials