In this post we will discuss some of the basic difference between SharePoint-hosted , auto-hosted and Provider-hosted apps in SharePoint 2013.
Also you can check out my previous posts on:
– Create Apps using Office 365 development tools Napa
– Apps packaging in SharePoint 2013
– Image Rendition feature in SharePoint 2013
1. SharePoint-hosted apps, or apps where all components are hosted on either an on-premises or office 365 SharePoint farm. SharePoint-hosted apps are installed on a SharePoint 2013 website called the host web.
2. SharePoint hosted apps don’t incur charges for the developer as the app will be packaged and directly installed on customers SharePoint installation.
1. Auto hosted apps are currently available only on Office 365. They differ from provider-hosted apps by fact that they are deployed fully to cloud. SharePoint application is deployed to Office 365 and web application is deployed to Windows Azure based cloud. All complex configuring is done automatically for you. You just write code and push Run to see how it works.
2. Currently the Office store is not supporting the auto hosted app so if you want to publish the app you won’t.
1. The provider hosted it will depend on the hosting provider I host my provider hosted app on windows azure and as I have MSDN subscription you will have free 100 USD per month plus discount the app price will be determined by Traffic In/Out Size of the app data.
2. Provider-hosted apps for SharePoint include components that are deployed and hosted outside the SharePoint farm. They are installed to the host web, but their remote components are hosted on another server.