This SharePoint tutorial explains, what is the difference between SharePoint designer workflows and Visual Studio workflows.
Difference between designer workflow and visual studio workflows
Below are some differences between SharePoint designer workflows and Visual Studio workflows.
SharePoint Designer Workflows
- SharePoint Designer is a code-free environment.
- Through designer, we can make Sequential workflows only.
- Workflows created by the designer can be deployed across a site collection only not beyond that.
- These workflows automatically deployed into SharePoint.
- Visio can be used to model workflow logic.
- But no debugging available to step through a workflow at runtime.
- Intuitive support for forms customization.
- Workflows cannot be modified at runtime.
- Compiled just-in-time.
Visual Studio Workflows
- Code-centric development
- Visual studio workflows support both sequential and state machines.
- These workflows deployable across entire farm via a feature.
- Must be packaged within a feature and deployed by a farm administrator or in a sandbox.
- No support for Visio.
- Full debugging experience available.
- Less intuitive InfoPath integration.
- Availability for ASP.NET custom forms.
- Workflows can be modified while running.
- Compiled at design time.
You may like following SharePoint workflow tutorials:
- SharePoint workflow interview questions and answers
- Create a Leave request approval workflow in SharePoint using Out of box workflow
- Sorry something went wrong while adding three-state workflow in SharePoint Online
- How to add edit task form URL inside SharePoint 2013 designer workflow email?
- Impersonation step missing in SharePoint 2013 Workflow
- Workflow App Identifier in SharePoint Online App Permissions
- SharePoint designer workflow examples Create a workflow using SharePoint designer 2013 video tutorial
- Deploy SharePoint Designer Workflow into Production in SharePoint Online/2013
Hope this SharePoint tutorial explains, the difference between SharePoint designer workflows and Visual Studio workflows.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)