In 2016, Microsoft has newly introduced the new UI experience called “Modern experience” for lists and libraries in Office 365 SharePoint Online.
Differences between new and classic experiences for SharePoint lists and libraries
If you are new to SharePoint modern experience have a look at the below SharePoint Modern UI tutorials:
- SharePoint Modern Experience – All You Need to Know!
- SharePoint Online Switch from classic experience to modern experience (List & Document Libraries)
- How to change list and library default experience in SharePoint online
The SharePoint modern experience offers better user experience which is faster than classic experience, More responsive and displays better in a mobile device like tablet and desktop, etc.
The classic experience still exists in SharePoint, so a user can always capable of switching to modern to classic view and back to the modern view.
The organization will set the default experience of lists and libraries in site collection level or list settings level. You can find this article where the user can capable to switch the list and library experience.
In Modern experience, the user can able to easily edit items in a list in SharePoint Online/2019. In Modern experience user ability to select multiple documents and download them as a single .zip file.
In SharePoint modern experience, User easily to add reorder, resize, sort, filter, and group columns, and create custom views.
In Modern experience, User quickly changes the file information and easy access to previews and additional details.
In Modern experience, Improved the display of list with column formatting and list view formatting in SharePoint Online.
In Modern experience, you can find the List or library settings in right side of the menu.
In Modern experience user can pin documents to the top to highlight them.
The new experience supports the themes, navigation, and custom buttons that were created in the classic experience. However, some features can only be used in the classic experience.
- The new modern list and document library experiences are not available for users of Internet Explorer 10 or earlier.
- Customization of list or library may be affected while switching the default experience in SharePoint Online/2019.
- Microsoft has confirmed that there are no plans to permanently remove “Classic” mode, so you can fall back to that interface if you wish or need to do so.
You may like following SharePoint list and library tutorials:
- How to create a list or library in SharePoint Online/2013/2016
- Copy list items from one site collection to another programmatically using CSOM in SharePoint Online
- Different ways to hide/disable quick edit in a list in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
- Display Task List data in a table using SharePoint REST API and filter by status column
- Change default list view style using CSS in SharePoint Online/2016/2013
- How to display more than 3 views in SharePoint 2013/2016 list or document library
- Redirect to a different page after submitting an item to SharePoint 2013 list
- Customize SharePoint 2013 list form using SharePoint designer 2013
- Delete all attachments from SharePoint 2016/2013 list [PowerShell and Browser]
- How to Set different permission on the SharePoint 2013 list view?
- SharePoint 2013 Metadata Navigation Settings in List and Libray
- Bind SharePoint list items to a drop-down list using Rest API and jQuery in SharePoint 2013
The above are the major difference between classics and modern SharePoint lists and library, so you can find more difference once you start working on it.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)