Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
This SharePoint 2013 tutorial explains, the difference between sequential and state machine workflow in SharePoint. In SharePoint, you can use both sequential workflows as well as state machine workflows. It really depends on the business process whether we have to go for a Sequential workflow or State Machine workflow.
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
Difference between state machine and sequential workflow
Now we will see the difference between the state machine and a sequential workflow in SharePoint.
- It looks very simple like a flow chart.
- Steps within the workflow execute sequentially, one after another in the particular order.
- A sequential workflow always progresses forward, never going back to a previous step.
- Sequential workflows are definitely much easier to design and maintain.
- A sequential workflow executes in no particular order and these are based on events like OnTaskCreated, OnTaskDeleted etc.
- A sequential workflow moves from one state to another until the logic concludes the workflow has completed.
- Compared to Sequential workflows State machine workflows are difficult to design and maintain.
- In order to move to another event, the workflow needs to meet another state.
- The workflow doesn’t really have to end. It can stay in the same state for weeks.
- Visual studio provides both a Sequential Workflow and State Machine workflow. But in SharePoint designer, you can only make sequential workflows.
You may like following SharePoint workflow tutorials:
- Working with Nintex workflow for Office 365 SharePoint Online
- Create a Leave Request Approval Workflow using SharePoint Designer 2013
- Create SharePoint Workflow History list using csom programmatically
- How to add edit task form URL inside SharePoint 2013 designer workflow email?
- Impersonation step missing in SharePoint 2013 Workflow
- Packaging and Deploying in SharePoint 2013 designer workflow
- Call Web API from SharePoint Online using httpsend workflow activity
- SharePoint Site Workflow: Initiation forms parameters examples
- SharePoint document approval workflow example
- How to use App Step Nintex Workflow Action in SharePoint Online Office 365
- Create a document approval workflow in SharePoint 2013
- Deploy SharePoint 2013 designer workflow to different site in SharePoint 2013
- Steps to create deploy and Associate reusable workflow using SharePoint designer 2013
- SharePoint 2013 workflow issues and fixes
I hope this tutorial helps to learn the difference between the state machine and sequential workflow in SharePoint.
I am Bijay from Odisha, India. Currently working in my own venture TSInfo Technologies in Bangalore, India. I am Microsoft Office Servers and Services (SharePoint) MVP (5 times). I works in SharePoint 2016/2013/2010, SharePoint Online Office 365 etc. Check out My MVP Profile.. I also run popular SharePoint web site SPGuides.com
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.