Difference between List Definition, List Template and List Instance in SharePoint
Check out Best Alternative to InfoPath -> Try Now
In this article we will discuss what is List Definition, List Template and List Instance in SharePoint 2010 and What is the difference between List Definition, List Template, and List Instance.
Before check the differences, we should know what is list definition, list template and list instance in SharePoint.
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
Here are a few differences between list definition, list template and list instance in SharePoint 2010/2013/2016 and SharePoint Online.
List definition defines the schema of a Sharepoint list. It contains all the metadata information as well as what are the content types, columns used. This also contains about information what views are being used.
We can create a list definition using Visual Studio only.
List template is a template through which you can create a list instance. You can create a list template by using the SharePoint browser or SharePoint designer.
It contains list columns, site columns, content types, views etc.
A List Instance is a single “instance” of a list created from an aforementioned list definition. A List instance can also be instantiated with data.
A list instance is an instance of a specific SharePoint list definition or list template. All of its data is stored in the relevant content database. Typically a list in SharePoint used by end users to enter and view data and it is based on either a list template or list definition.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Enable Validation in List Definition from Visual Studio 2010 in SharePoint 2010
- Create list definition using Visual Studio 2010 in SharePoint 2010
- How to use MOSS 2007 list template in SharePoint 2013?
- SharePoint 2013: Create custom list template set Default view as Datasheet View programmatically
- Get List Template ID and Type in SharePoint 2013
- The list is too large to save as a template. The size of a template cannot exceed 10485760 bytes in SharePoint
- Create SharePoint 2013 List using out of box or custom template using PowerShell
- Access denied when clicking on Save list as a template in SharePoint 2013/2016/Online
Hope this SharePoint tutorial helps us to learn differences between list definition, list instance and list template in SharePoint.
Download SharePoint Online Tutorial PDF FREE!
Get update on Webinars, video tutorials, training courses etc.