This SharePoint 2013 tutorial explains what is cross site publishing in SharePoint 2013? advantages of cross site publishing SharePoint 2013 and how cross site publishing works in SharePoint 2013?
SharePoint 2016 Tutorial Contents
Using this feature you can create a one or more authoring site collection for creating and store content and create one or more publishing site collection to design and show the content from authoring site collection using catalog connection by the help of SharePoint search.
– Content has been created in SharePoint list and libraries shared as a catalog result source in authoring site collections
– Search service crawl the content from authoring site collection and build the index
– User add a content search webpart to query the content from search in publishing site collections
– The main advantage is internet sites most of the public facing sites using this feature for making content management easily.
– Intranet, Extranet, and bilingual sites also you can use this feature for both internal and external users.
Types of contents:
– You can store different types of content in libraries and lists in the authoring site collection. By sharing these libraries and lists as catalogs, the data that they contain can be reused in one or more publishing site collections. By default, only HTML content is indexed and returned by the search system. Non-HTML content, such as Word documents and PDFs, is not stored in the index, and must be referenced directly. The following list describes the different types of content that you can use in an authoring site collection.
– Pages library (approval workflow and content scheduling)
– Asset library (images videos and audio files)
– Lists (you can able to store any kind of data)
– Document library (storing word and pdf documents consider as BLOB)
Open SharePoint central administration -> Application management -> Create a site collection
Note: – While creating a site collection create authoring site for product catalog or publishing portal.
Next is to create two site collection one for authoring another one for publishing. Open your SharePoint 2013 central administration and then create two site collections. In this example, I have given one site name as “Authoring” and Other site collection name as “Publishing”.
And I have created using Publishing template.
Then go to the authoring site collection and activate Cross Site Collection Publishing(XSP) feature.
After two sites created. Open an authoring site collection and create a Custom list to filling up some content. The list should look like below:
Now going to create a catalog connection for this list. Go to List -> List settings and Under General settings -> Click catalog settings.
Then check “Enable this library as a catalog” check box and click on “anonymous access” it helps to view contents to anonymous users like below:
Catalog ITEM Url fields.
Now it’s time to run the “Search service application” to index the content from authoring site collection. Click Content Sources and Start Full Crawl.
After a successful crawl.
Now open a “Publishing site collection”
Navigate to site settings -> create a catalog connection.
Click Site collection features -> Activate Cross-site collection publishing.
Under site administration -> Click manage catalog connections.
Click Connect to catalog.
Click connect on “authoring connection”.
In my scenario am not integrate a catalog with terms.
Click ok to complete the connection creation.
All done. Now add a content search web part in a page
After added -> Click on edit webpart
Click on change query to connect catalog connection from authoring
Click Switch to advanced mode
Pick authoring catalog connection from result source
Provide the value for number of items to show
Select the display templates for control and item
Note: – you are able to create your own custom display templates we will see about this on next article
Enable property mappings to map the columns from the search index
Here is the final result
Read some SharePoint 2013 tutorials:
- JQuery News Ticker using content search web part in SharePoint 2013
- JQuery accordion using content search web part in SharePoint server 2013
- Create a chart using chart.js In SharePoint server 2013
- How to use global variable in PowerShell inside a function?
- SharePoint Online Group Calendar Web Part Tutorial
Hope this will be helpful.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)