This SharePoint 2013 tutorial, we will discuss how to create a web application and site collection in SharePoint 2013. We will see how we can create a site collection and web application from SharePoint 2013 central administration.
Create Web Application in SharePoint 2013/2016
To create a web application in SharePoint 2013 follow below steps:
Navigate to SharePoint 2013 Central Administration and then click on the Application Management link. This will open the Application Management link as shown in the figure below:
Then click on the Manage web application link and this will open the Manage web applications page and that page you can Click on the New button as shown in the figure below to create a web application.
The above step will open the dialog box to create a new web application. There you should not change anything (But you have the option to change) in the dialog box.
Here various options you need to check and also can change according to your requirement like whether you want to create a new IIS website or not, Name, port number. Virtual directory path (you should avoid changing this) etc.
In the Security Configuration section, you can select whether you want to allow anonymous access or not, Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) Yes/No. etc.
In the Claims Authentication type, you can select Enable Windows Authentication is you want to enable Claims Authentication.
In the Sign in Page URL section, you can select the Default Sign in Page and also the Public URL.
In the Application Pool section, You can choose for a Create new application pool and give the name of the application pool.
In the Register new managed account section, you can give the Username and Password.
In the Database Name and Authentication section, you can choose the database server, the database name and better to chose Windows authentication.
Now click on OK.
The web application got created in SharePoint 2013 from SharePoint 2013 central administration.
Create Site Collection in SharePoint 2013/2016
Now, we will see how to create a site collection in SharePoint 2013 from SharePoint 2013 central administration.
Follow below steps to create a Site collection in SharePoint 2013.
First, open SharePoint 2013 Central Administration and click on Application Management. From the Application Management page click on Create site collection.
The above step will open the Create site collection page. In this page first, select the Web application.
Then give the Title and Description of the SharePoint site collection.
Next, in the Web site address section, Give the address for the site collection in SharePoint.
Next in the site template section, Here is a new thing introduced as Select experience versions like whether you want to see templates for 2010 version or 2013 version.
Once you select the version you can select the template like you can navigate to Collaboration section and can choose Team Site template as shown in the figure below.
Also like in SharePoint 2010 you can select Primary site collection administrator, Secondary site collection Administrator and Quota template etc.
Then click on OK.
Once the site collection got created it will give a successful message.
You may like following SharePoint 2013 tutorials
- Extending Web Applications in SharePoint 2013
- How to create web application SharePoint 2016?
- Delete Hidden Web Application in SharePoint 2013 using PowerShell
- Check Anonymous access for all web applications in SharePoint
- Retrieve all web application names from SharePoint farm using the server object model in SharePoint 2016
- Comparing a Web Application and Site Collection limits in SharePoint 2016 with SharePoint 2013 2010 2007
- Get content database sizes for all web applications in a SharePoint farm using PowerShell
- Change site collection title, description, logo, and site collection administrator in SharePoint
- Copy list items from one site collection to another programmatically using CSOM in SharePoint Online
- 3 Different ways to Change Site Collection URL in SharePoint 2013/2016 using PowerShell
- Self-Service Site Collection in SharePoint 2013
- Create Site Collection in SharePoint online using PowerShell
Hope this SharePoint 2013 tutorial explains, how to create a site collection and web application from SharePoint 2013 central administration.
SharePoint Online FREE Training
JOIN a FREE SharePoint Video Course (3 Part Video Series)