Creating Navigation in SharePoint 2013 or SharePoint Online:
We have many ways to create navigation panes in SharePoint, few of them are:
-> Hard coding the navigation in user control and render with c#
-> Create SharePoint list to add elements for navigation and read them using c# or CSOM
-> Creating top navigation using SharePoint designer
-> Add elements as part of site navigation
-> Implement a term store and associate it in site navigation
Advantages with managed metadata service (MMS) Navigation in SharePoint:
We will get many benefits if we create top / left navigation using managed metadata service (MMS) service few of them are:
-> Less Maintenance
-> More reusability
-> More control on elements in navigation
Since we are using out of the box functionality there is no code deployments and code maintenance.
As we are using managed metadata service (MMS) term store we can use the same term store other site collections as well. This is really cool and time saving approach.
More control on elements in navigation:
Adding terms / new elements requires special permissions so we will have more control on navigation elements.
SharePoint online managed navigation steps:
Let us walk through the process of implementing this approach.
1. Ensure that managed metadata service (MMS) service is associated / configures for the web application
a. Log on to Central Administration
b. Navigate to below path
Central Admin -> Application Management -> Manage Service Application (under Configure Service Application Associations)
c. Ensure that managed metadata service (MMS) is associated with the web application as shown in below screen shot
2. Navigate to site collection where you want to configure Term Store
Site settings -> Term Store Management
Note: You must have Site owner permissions to perform this.
3. Create Term set and Term as guided in my pervious article
Configure and Consume MMS
4. After you created Term Set enable Site Navigation option as shown below
a. Select Term Set parent
b. Click on “INTENDED USE” on right hand side
c. Select the check box for “use this Term Set for Site Navigation”
d. Click on Save button
5. As soon as you click on “Save” button SharePoint will add one more tab called “TERM-DRIVEN PAGES” to custom page URL for each and every term.
6. Now let us associate the Terms with their respective pages by clicking on browse option and click on Save
7. Repeat this for all the Term(s) in the Term Set as shown below
8. Once you complete this custom page association, move on navigation
Site Settings -> Navigation
Note: This navigation is available only if site collection feature “SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure”
9. Select Managed Navigation option in both Global and Current Navigation and select Term Set as shown below and click on OK.
10. Once it is association completed success it will look like as below.
Hope this will be helpful !!!
Download FREE SharePoint 2019 Installation PDF Guide
This FREE PDF contains, Steps by step guide to install SharePoint 2019 Preview, prerequisites, hardware and software new features. First impression to SharePoint Server 2019 new modern site, modern lists and modern document libraries.
You May Also like the Following SharePoint Online Tutorials:
About Krishna Vandanapu
I am Krishna.Vandanapu a SharePoint architect working in IT from last 12 years, I worked in SharePoint 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Office 365. I have extensive hands on experience in customizing SharePoint sites from end to end. Expertise in SharePoint migration tools like Sharegate, Doc Ave and Metalogix. Migrated SharePoint sites from SharePoint 2007 to 2010 and 2010 to 2013 several times seamlessly. Implementing CSOM with Microsoft best practices. Spent quality time in configuring SharePoint application services like User Profile, Search, Managed Meta data services etc. Now exploring SharePoint Framework and SharePoint 2019
Your FREESharePoint Online Ebook is on its way to your Email Inbox. **************** You will get notification on FREE SharePoint online training, SharePoint webinars, Video Tutorial & also latest FREE PDF tutorials