This SharePoint tutorial, we will discuss how to create and configure metadata navigation and filtering SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013/2016 list and libraries.
SharePoint Tutorial Contents
Metadata filtering helps to filters the item/documents in SharePoint large list and document libraries.
Filter SharePoint list and libraries items based on metadata available in the SharePoint list and also filter based on columns in the list.
Here, I have created a sample SharePoint list named “Products” and created some common metadata into the SharePoint list. The SharePoint list with columns like below:
Let’s go and implement the feature. Navigate to SharePoint Site Settings -> Manage site features -> Click Activate “Metadata navigation and filtering“.
Let’s Go back to your SharePoint product list and add some products with the metadata we created.
Now let’s enable metadata navigation and filtering for the list. Go to List -> List Settings ->General Settings ->Click Metadata navigation settings
Here the added fields will be appeared in the tree view for filtering items in the sharepoint list and libraries.
Some of the fields are only available in navigation hierarchies Content Type, Managed Metadata Field, Choice Field. The rest of the other fields are not supported for navigation hierarchy.
- Content Type –> Maybe the Item or folder
- Folder -> It will help to display the folders in the tree view for filtering the items somewhere in the particular folder content type.
- Make/Model -> Choice field. If you not needed to filter valued based on these criteria don’t add this, in this scenario am used this piece of metadata.
- Price-> Same as Make/Model scenario.
Configure Key Filters
It will help you to display only the matching values in the list and libraries you given in the box.
This Type will support
- Person or group field (Created By, Modified By)
- Number (Quantity) for my metadata, these fields may vary from your requirement
- Managed Metadata Field
- Date/Time Field (Created, Modified)
- Content Type (Item and Folder)
In this scenario, I used some of the fields for my reference.
Configure automatic column indexing for this list
It will come default by automatically indexed the metadata we created in the sharepoint list and libraries. This is one of the best ways for handling metadata and a much-preferred way.
You can also see another option “Do not automatically indices column from this list” you will be indexing the list column manually.
Am go by Default “Automatically Manage column indices in this list”. You are also able to see the indexed columns by clicking on the link.
Click ok and complete the setup. Let’s see the cool OOTB feature on how it works.
Now I am going to filter with product “Apple”. Oops, the filter applied.
Let’s See the key filter. Just put Quantity equals “1”.
Now let me check Quantity equals “2”. So, no items Found
Also, you can apply the Key filter based on the “Person or Group Field” value.
This awesome and cool OOTB Feature will help to satisfy our client and customer needs without writing code and achieve within a couple of minutes. This feature will be simply used for beginning SharePoint developers and many of the experienced developers also don’t know about this feature some time it happens when we didn’t use SharePoint features in the right way.
You may like following SharePoint tutorials:
- Browsers Supported in SharePoint online SharePoint 2016/2013
- Content type HUB SharePoint 2013 Tutorial
- OAuth SharePoint 2013 tutorial
- Angularjs SharePoint 2013/2016/Online tutorial
- Create a timer job in SharePoint 2016/2013 Programmatically (Step by Step tutorial)
- SharePoint 2013 farm server Architecture
This SharePoint tutorial explains, how to create and configure metadata navigation and filtering for list or library in SharePoint Online.