Through this SharePoint customization tutorial, we will discuss how to create a master page using the design manager in sharepoint 2013/2016 or SharePoint Online.
SharePoint Master Page
Master Page: It is the common layout of a page that we use on every page.
Default Master Pages in Sharepoint 2013: “Seattle” and “Oslo“.
For Example:- I have made a basic layout through HTML as shown in the below figure, which will be used on every page of the site in SharePoint 2013.
Now, we will see how to implement the above HTML page in Sharepoint 2013 as a Master Page with examples?
Create master page using design manager in SharePoint
- First, go to your respective Top-level site. (i.e Asish Sharepoint Site).
- Then click on the “setting” button at the top-right corner of the navigation bar.
- Then click on “Design Manager” as shown in the below figure.
- If the SharePoint design manager option is not available there, then go to the Site Collection features and activate “Sharepoint Publishing Infrastructure.”
- Then you will redirect to the below page.
- As shown in the above figure click on “Upload design files” which is marked in red color.
- Then copy the URL and paste the same in another tab to open the Master page gallery as shown in the above figure.
- When the “Master Page Gallery” window appears as shown in the above figure, then navigate to the FILES tab and create a NEW FOLDER(e.g I have created the ASISH folder) to maintain your files in an organized way.
- Then click on the respective folder that you have created.(for e.g ASISH)
- When the above page will appear, then click on the “FILES” tab and then click on “Upload Document” to add your HTML, js, CSS files, and Images.
- Choose your HTML file and click on OK button
- Then the above form will appear where you fill the details as shown in the above figure which is marked in red color.
NOTE: When you are uploading an HTML file as a Master Page always choose the Content-type as “HTML Master Page” and check on “Associated file” to create its corresponding master page as shown in the below figures.
- Then Click on the “Save” button.
- Your HTML page i.e “demomasterpage1.html”along with its master page i.e “demomasterpage1.master” has been created.
- Then we have to publish the corresponding HTML page by clicking on the drop-down box near to the corresponding HTML page( as shown in below figure) to implement it in our pages.
- After completion of these steps then go the “Design Manager” and click on “Publish and Apply Design” then the below page will appear.
- Then you have to click on “Assign master pages to your site based on device channel” to implement it.
- Then the below form will appear where you have to select your master page.
- If you are selecting your master page on the “Site master pages” level then your master page will reflect on your Custom pages.
- But if you are selecting your master page on the “System Master Page” level then your master page will reflect in your Application Pages.
- And finally, click on the OK button.
- Then add a page to see whether the master page is reflecting or not.
You may like following SharePoint design manager tutorials:
- Create custom master page using Design Manager in SharePoint Online
- Convert an HTML page into a SharePoint master page using Design manager
- Create a custom master page using Visual Studio in SharePoint
- Change Master Page using PowerShell in SharePoint 2013/2016
- Enable Developer Dashboard in SharePoint
I hope this tutorial will help you, to create a master page using design manager in SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013/2016.